Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

Some Sony phones use the Google Phone App, so that might be what they have in common with the Pixel phones.

I'm not sure why the Google app would cause a phone-call to terminate after 29m 50s......however.....

Morning all - Happy New Year.

I had a very long Live Chat yesterday evening with someone - well three people actually. The first two kept saying they were "checking something on my account", so I started to get a little annoyed and asked for a manager. After another five minutes, someone came.

Long story cut short - the problem seems to be the SIM card. Mine was from 2016, so they have sent me a new one. Hopefully, it'll arrive in the next few days, but then I need to make a call that lasts 29m 50s plus to see if that has solved the problem. 

I'll try to keep you posted, but it maybe worthwhile getting a replacement SIM for everyone affected.

Regards,

Neil.

Thanks Neil! Let us know if it resolves the problem. Fingers crossed. 

Unfortunately new sim didn't solve my issue. I have pixel 3 and Google were pretty certain it is carrier issue. In the last few days I have updated my android software and it seems to have solved the problem. Have now made several calls longer than 29mins 50 secs with 4G turned on 👍 I have had this issues since Feb/March 2020. Check for any updates to android version - hoping this helps someone 

Hi again,

Well, since my new SIM arrived a few weeks ago, I have made my first long call, and sure enough, as expected, it bombed out on me again after 29m 50s. Android is up to date. I can't fathom why the phone's OS would have an effect on the ability to make long phone calls. Surely this is Vodafone making people's lives difficult?

The phone call I just made did not have 4G switched on, only my local home wifi connection. Are we saying that if you want to make a long call, then wifi needs disabling and 4G (or maybe 5G) switched on?

Regards,

Neil.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all, we've been continuing to investigate this and I've raised this back to the dedicated department again, so we can receive any updates and provide them to the thread.

Once we have more news, we'll get back to you here. 
@neilhunter14 Thanks for keeping us updated and I'm sorry to hear that the new SIM hadn't resolved this for you. 

Thanks for the feedback @Tash

Hopefully this can be resolved. Personally, I am using a Sony Xperia 10. Do you think this has anything to do with whether your phone is set to 4G or wi-fi? I assume this has no effect and the issue lies with Vodafone's 'settings' somewhere.

I do hope it can be fixed because I have had several calls cut-off to say banks where I have been on hold for 25 minutes after dialling through umpteen options, then the call is terminated before the problem with the bank has been sorted. Seriously annoying.

Many thanks,

Neil.

I've been monitoring this topic for a while as I've got the same issue with my Xperia 10 too and my other half does with her Xperia XZ1. It's really annoying, especially when you are trying to do things involving waiting in a call centre queue! 

Hopefully as there are a few people reporting this Vodafone might prioritise getting a fix.

Unfortunately I suspect there are a lot of people who don't make many calls longer than 29 minute who have never noticed.

Hi

I'm having the same issue on my Xperia XZ 1. A temporary though not ideal solution is to change your preferred network type in the phone settings to 3G if you know its likely to be a long call. The call drop issue only seems to be present when 4G is active. This will at least allow you to make a longer call until Vodafone are able to implement a permanent fix. Come on Vodafone. This has been going on long enough. Get your act together!