Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

I found that if I used the hold solution where by you briefly place the call on hold that the 29 mins 50 seconds cut off didn't affect that call. By doing this a few times it seems to have reset the issue and I no longer have to do it and my calls make it past 30 mins now with no issues

I just refuse to do business with a company that isn't honest and treats customers like something you step in by mistake that's why I was out. I'd have given benefit of the doubt had they stopped selling the problem phones but they continue to do so.

Merger will likely take some years to happen IF it gets past the competition regulator, but it probably will because they let EE/BT and O2/VM merge already.

Hopefully they employ some decent engineers and do it properly - don't need another Orange/TMobile situation where they just turned on roaming for customers to use either network because then you end up with dropped calls and data moving between networks plus extra battery drain and it took them over 5 years to join it all up.

And what about the masts like mine which have both Three and Voda (EE and O2 as well) on them they going to take some planning! There's only 2 sets of antenna on mast because Voda share with O2!! And Three with EE as per their existing mast sharing policy. Plus Three has never had 2G, Voda are switching 3G off but Three haven't yet. They say "From day one, millions of customers of Vodafone UK and Three UK will enjoy a better network experience with greater coverage and reliability at no extra cost" but in reality that will only apply if you lived somewhere with no signal on one and suddenly got signal via the other overnight. For everyone else with signal on both you may be on Three but get dumped on a closer but slower Voda mast overnight, or your phone may start to network hop between front and rear of your house. What it won't do from day one is go wow you now have signal on both I'm going to connect both and boost your speed. They just seem to want to get more people with the 5G symbol up like EE did 10 years ago with 4G. You won't care if you are on a Orange or TMobile mast once they are all converted to 4G... 5 years later we are still converting 😂

Very late to the party, but I can confirm that seems to be the case for me, now.  Not sure how many times I had to use the hold trick, but I no longer seem to need to.  No thanks to Vodafone / Lebara / Nokia.

@EL1234  No way! They finally sorted that 'little' 48 odd page problem out?  🤣 As usual no comments from the moderators...

Might have something to do how Voda have completely shut down the 3G network now nationwide... Still see zero evidence they have converted that spectrum into 4/5G though. I've been keeping a eye on this. You can check too, check coverage map its all gone on 3G! But has anything increased on 4/5G for anyone?

Voda have now shut down 3G across the entire UK. Three have shut down nothing on 3G. What a merger made in heaven!!! Give about a year until they try amalgamate it all! I've dumped Three in meantime they worked well but ceased to provide again! Too busy selling 4G/5G home internet without the capacity to back it up. It got slowwwwwwwwwww so I said bye.

@mdc1983uk You're right. It certainly isn't only down to the handset causing the disconnect after 29min and 50 seconds on Wifi Calling. I work with telco systems myself and it's most likely something to do with Vodafone internal systems running configuration that only like Wifi calling to be established and "keepalive" renewed during a call in a certain way. I'm guesing here as that's what's most likely causing the disconnect at that exact time for all of us. The telco system tearing down the connection after it didn't receive a sync message or similiar.

Most likely our SIMs were provisioned years ago (at least mine was) with certain settings that might not work perfectly with all of Vodafone never systems etc. That's the only logical explanation why a network number disconnection and reconnection (most likely provision onto newer system) and then reset of wifi calling settings would resolve this.

As you said, these issues are not present with other providers. My wife uses 3 Wifi calling and she never had this issue on Samsung S20 for years. I used Huawei P30 for a year and never had this issue with Wifi calling on Vodafone. Before that I used Samsung S21 for a year and never had issue with Vodafone Wifi calling, all of this using the same SIM card. Now suddenly on Google Pixel 7 Pro I have this problem. It makes me think that Vodafone needs to deploy a tweak on their end to "fix" the incompatibility issues with certain handsets using Wifi calling, or support more settings with slight differences between how Android/iPhone communicates over Wifi calling and then specific OS releases by different manufacturers in terms of Android.

On this occasion, I was very pleasantly surprised with Vodafone tech reps actually trying to resolve it and fixing it at the end. Kudos