Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 4a problems

Smufter
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Having problems with my otherwise brilliant Pixel 4a not recognising my pin number. Have entered it time and time again, keep being told it's incorrect. Have turned the phone off and on countless times, still no joy.

Called into the local Vodafone store yesterday, they didn't want to know.

Basically I was told it was "user error". 

Definitely not "user error". After 3 or 4 years of using the same pin unlocking code, I think I know what it is!

Told to contact Google about it, when I told them I'd only had the phone 6 months and that it was still under warranty, again told it was "user error" and the warranty wouldn't cover it. Great service.

Spent an age on "instant chat" last night, finally put through to somebody on the "tech" side.

Explained the problem, The solution????

Take the phone into my local Vodafone store and they would help me!!!

What can I do? I'm now on my 159th attempt at trying to unlock it......

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Smufter 

You can unlock the phone through your Google account.  Just sign in using Google Chrome > security > select the device, lost or missing Android device and follow the step by step instructions.

When you have managed to get into the phone, I would suggest clearing any stored security PIN number or factory reset to clear and stored security.

Ended up having to carry out factory reset. Lost all my data. Cushty...... and still Vodafone didn't want to know.

AnnS

Hi @Smufter 

The unlock should have been completed through your Google account, if you were able to get into the phone to complete a factory reset, you should have been able to clear all the security settings on the phone.

With this being a phone fault and not a Vodafone issue, other than taking the phone into a Vodafone store for advise there would have been little Customer Services would have been able to recommend.

The content, photos etc should be backed up to your Google account and it would certainly be worth checking there. It's also important to back up all content to a file on your PC. 

At least you have access to the phone.

hrym

To this, I'll add my usual reference to Schofield's Law (proposed by the late Jack Schofield).

Data should be regarded as not existing at all unless it exists in at least two places.   Storage can and will fail, or devices be lost, so back up anything that's important.