Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 5 eSim - Works!

davidfaulkner
4: Newbie

Hi All,

Just thought I'd let you know I brought a Pixel 5 unlocked and eSim works perfectly.

Cheers, David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello all,

After two months trying, I finally have my eSIM working.

I contacted (again) with the customer service, and this time I was lucky with the person who was in the other side. He offered applying for the eSIM swap on my behalf and, when he was doing the request, he told me that there was an issue with my contact info (after more than two years in Vodafone UK!). He updated everything for me, and he didn't ask me what device I was using (so we didn't have the same conversation about compatibility like other times!). I received the text about the request, and 1 minute later, I had the email with the QR in my Inbox. Following the instructions, I set up everything really quick and easy, and I have my two SIMs working fine.

Good luck if your are still not able to get it!

View solution in original position

22 REPLIES 22

@davidfaulkner wrote:

That'll probably be why it's not working - I'm already on Vodafone. You're in for a treat, in SW London I'm getting 315Mb down and 80Mb up!

Nice. Here in East London the coverage map says there's coverage but there's not, so no 5G for me. Vodafone inisist my mast has 5G, but it doesn't!

To be fair 5G coverage is very sporadic, and sometimes the 5G symbol disappears almost as soon as it's picked it up! There's also some weird anomalies, like at Ealing Broadway I had a download speed of 5Mb which was slower than 4G. It could be my device had connected to WiFi which is why the reading was so low. However the attached screenshot is tests done around the District Line in SW London. I'm sure as more 5G devices connect things will slow down, however 5G is sometimes faster than my home Virgin Media connection and 4G can be equally as impressive.

Screenshot_20201019-115930.png

The coverage map here in E14 has red 5G squares around the local masts, but there's no 5g on them. The only mast with 5G is some way away, so only pick up 5G in specific places.

It'll be interesting to see what happens on Friday when a lot of people get access to 5g and find it wasn't worth the wait.

Ah that's a shame. Perhaps venture out towards Central London if you're not isolating just to experience 5G before it becomes available to the masses. Fingers crossed they resolve the 5G issues around E14 ASAP :Smiling:

My walk to Pret picks up 5g in one spot so at least I know it works, but it's very limited. Hopefully we'll see some upgrades soon.

AlbaEV
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello! 

Might I ask you how did you had your eSIM QR code? I have tried several times during the last 3 days, but I didn't receive any email form Vodafone with the QR... I asked in the live chat and I talked with 6 different people, and they told me 6 different things. And the last one, from technical team, finally told me that Google Pixel 5 is not compatible in Vodafone UK by the moment..

I really don't know what to do now, to be honest!

Thanks!

@AlbaEV wrote:

Hello! 

Might I ask you how did you had your eSIM QR code? I have tried several times during the last 3 days, but I didn't receive any email form Vodafone with the QR... I asked in the live chat and I talked with 6 different people, and they told me 6 different things. And the last one, from technical team, finally told me that Google Pixel 5 is not compatible in Vodafone UK by the moment..

I really don't know what to do now, to be honest!

Thanks!

Alright, let me tell you my experience. I requested the eSim the first day I logged in to Vodafone, just after requesting to move my number from EE to Vodafone. For 3 days I tried multiple times to enable it, but I wasn't receiving any text from Vodafone with the settings.

Eventually, the day came when they ported my number to Vodafone. The same day I tried again and all of the sudden, it worked. I received the text in a couple of minutes and next thing I know, I was on the eSim.

So, in my case the delay was probably related with me giving up on the phone number I was supposed to move to eSim...

Or it was just buggy Vodafone systems, who knows.

I really appreciate you telling me your experience! In my case, I've had my number in Vodafone during 2 years.. So who knows what is going on!  It seem like even they have no idea according to my experience with customer service. You have been more helpful than them already because I was about to giving up!

Thank you very much!

I've been trying since 2 December to get an eSIM for my Pixel 5. I've applied four times, each time being told I should have it within an hour but it can take up to 24 hours. Been four weeks so far. I've been on chat with Vodafone for in excess of ten hours in total. I've called them. I've raised a complaint. I've been told countless times that the Pixel 5 doesn't support an eSIM, despite a) the Google page clearly showing it does b) my phone requesting I scan a QR code to enable it and c) me sending the eSIM ID number to Vodafone on three occasions.

Yesterday I applied for an eSIM online once more, on the advice of Vodafone. My existing SIM was immediately disabled (as expected), but no QR code or eSIM download received. That was 29 hours ago, since which my phone hasn't worked.

I'm at a loss to know what to do next. Any suggestions?

Wow, so they said the P5 doesn't support eSIM? Then my Pixel 5 is an exception, since it has been using an eSIM for the last months. I had some problems activating it too, but I think in my case it had to do with moving my number to Vodafone, I didn't get the eSIM until  my phone number was moved to Vodafone..