Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pop up and Ad Blocker

jonesnewton
4: Newbie

Hi all, 

I reset my Vodafone Smart Ultra 7 to factory settings yesterday as it was slow and this is what I was advised by their agent in a shop. No problems managed it fine but only issue now I keep getting these annoying pop-ups and I have tried most of the Apps but they do not work or want to include a browser?

I have Google chrome so I want to keep that so is there a standalone Blocker you can recommend or some workaround to stop these? I never had this problem before for the last year?

I have Malwarebytes, C Cleaner and Vodafone Protect installed.

In site settings I have pop ups > Blocked

TIA

Neil

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

There are many ad blockers in the Play store that may not include browsers. Sorry I've not checked them all individually. 

My set up is a little different as I use a s8 and the Samsung Browser with the option of using adblock plus ad blocker for Samsung from the Play store. 

I gave up on using Google Chrome as in my opinion its a resource hog and caused increased battery drain.

Have you considered Firefox ? 

Another avenue is that one or more of your downloaded apps had included ads maybe because it was a free app. 

One good way to determine this is to put the phone in Safe Mode which will turn off all the downloaded apps and leaves the stock ones alone which can then show if the issue is this if the problems stop. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

63johnw

Hi @jonesnewton if using chrome go to settings

Screenshot_20171127-091340.png

Then scroll down to site settings

Screenshot_20171127-091357.png

Then scroll down to pop ups and set it to block. This works great for me.

Hi, 

I think I have sorted it, I removed all new apps that I did not have before and the pop ups have stopped, so I will re add them 1 by 1 and await result 🙂 If I find the culprit 🙂 I will let people here know just in case 🙂

As for using  a different browser it sounds like a plan but I have soo much on Chrome I would like to be able to export it, so anyone recommend a browser?

@63Johnw

I had already done this block in settings but strangely enough they kept still coming, thanks for sharing 🙂

Thanks again 🙂

So it sounds as I thought - an app.

The safe mode route is a good troubleshooting tip but removing the apps is another too. 

Glad your now on the road to a resolution @jonesnewton

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

When you say "popup", do you mean ads that apppear within the app (and are used to fund it) or are they actually separate windows?  The only way of getting rid of in-app ads in a free version is to upgrade to paid-for.   Some apps have more than others.   Always be very careful of interacting with ads, and especially true popups as even closing them can lead to your being signed up to "services" you don't want.   I always use the back button to get out, or the browser "close tab" option when appropriate.

63johnw

I read this as pop ups within chrome but that's not the case, these are pop ups from certain apps and are a pain, the only way I found to stop them was to identify and  remove the offending app.