Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

RCS

spackmx
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've a Pixel XL 2 and have enabled the Chat feature. Issue is I am unable to send any messages as Chat and I am unable to receive messages from another Vodafone user with RCS enabled. 

If I use the Vodafone Messages+ app it works but not with Android Messages.

Any suggestions?

14 REPLIES 14

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@spackmx If you try to disable the RCS, does this then work?
If it doesn't please contact the store you bought it from or the manufacturer, as it may possibly be a device fault. They'll be able to take a look into this for you and see what may be causing the issue 😊

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I can't quite see this being a hardware or device fault.   It's interesting that there's apparently no problem with the Vodafone Message+ app as that's where I'd have expected the difficulty to lie.

The Pixel 2, of course, is one of the first devices to have Android Pie and this can cause issues with apps if they haven't been updated for the new platform.   It happens especially with network apps that often aren't optimised until the network has the update ready for its own branded devices.

I'm wondering whether there's an incompatibility between the stock app and the Vodafone system that Message+ is somehow working round?   The solution would seem to be to use that for the time being and try the stock one periodically to see if it starts working.

I am thinking that it may relate to the following issue?

purchased 2 x SIM only deals. I have decided to take a new number, my wife wanted her previous number ported across from Three. The port has now been done. However, when my wife sends text messages on her phone to me, they show as being carried by the temporary number rather than the number transferred. The tempory number when called advises it is invalid, calls to the ported number work fine. 

I am able to use Message+ to send a Chat message to my wife who has Android Messages, this however goes to the temp number not the ported number. 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@spackmc - We’d like to take a closer look at what’s happening, as it sounds like something's gone wrong with the port.

So we can take your details securely, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

Hi there. I've run into a similar problem trying to use RCS on my device (Nexus 6P, Android 8.1).

My number was ported from EE a few months ago and RCS messaging using Android Messages was sort of working (it was very flaky and struggling to sustain a constant RCS connection throughout the previous months) until it abruptly stopped about 3 weeks ago. When it stopped working there was no update to the app, or the phone, it just suddenly stopped.

Things I've tried to resolve the issue in the past few days are:-

* Checking APN settings are correct

* SIM swap

* Resetting data and cache on Android Messages

* And finally, factory resetting the phone

Unfortunately, none of those have resolved the issue and a very helpful chap in one of the Vodafone stores suggested it might have something to do with porting the number from EE, if the RCS service was so flaky before.

However, when I inserted my SIM card into a different device (Nexus 5, Android 7.1), RCS messaging seemes to work fine. Could this mean there is a hardware/software issue with the Nexus 6P, or could it be the result of a compatibility issue with the Vodafone network? Otherwise, why would it have worked at all before (even if it was flaky)?

Is there any way to confirm that it is absolutely not a network compatibility issue, before investigating whether there is some hardware/software fault? Many thanks.

Something isn't quite right and im goingto suggest it's an issue Google's end as RCS stopped working for me today via Android Messages.

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @teaandbiscuits we're happy to have a look at your account just to make sure everything is how it should be on there. Please send us your details by following the steps on the private message I've sent you. 

Hi.

I have a problem on Messages using the chat feature where it works with compatible contacts when I am on WiFi but not on mobile data. Contacts that I know that are using Vodafone mobile data at their end are only contactable via "Chat" if I am on Wifi.

Any ideas?

All sorted........... Restarted phone with WifI off, then restarted Android Messages on mobile data .... now works !