Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming ?

BonnieXX
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi guys,

I am going on holiday soon and i want for my internet to be turned off so that even apps cant update in the background and me not know and end up with a big bill. As far as i can see, i need to uncheck the data roaming box and when i press the power off button, de-activate the data network mode, is there anything else i need to do ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

If a picture message cost 37p that, as far as I'm aware, is the same cost as in the UK.  However, you could send a text meaage without turning data on as this doesn't use the data network.

The danger with turning data roaming on temporarily is that anything that syncs in background would be able to do so and you might run up some extra data costs as a result.  If Euro Travelller works in Norway, then you could opt in to that your only cost would be £3 per day as usage would come out of your contract allowance (note that most contracts don't include picture messages).

View solution in original position

21 REPLIES 21

If nothing works if data roaming isn't enabled whilst abroad how was I able to text my wife while I was on the ship and she was ashore?

From the texts I received from Vodafone on route (again with roaming unchecked) I was able to still use my phone without this Euro traveller thingy, there was requirement to sign up to it.

Again thanks anyway for your help.

hrym
There's a difference between network roaming (allows you to make and receive calls and texts) and data roaming, which relates to the internet and apps.

Why does one cost so much more then?

@hrym wrote:
There's a difference between network roaming (allows you to make and receive calls and texts) and data roaming, which relates to the internet and apps.

hrym
Like most things relating to mobile phones, it's all a bit murky. but data is a more recent appearance on the scene than calls. Call costs were capped (in Europe at least) a while back, but data is only just catching up. As caps are introduced. networks are protecting their margins through the uncapped costs.

It's all down to the heavily subsidised handset you get in the first place -it has to be paid for somehow and what are often regarded as rip-off charges are the mlost straightforward way of doing that. In the fullness of time, expect charges to be "fairer" and upfront costs to be higher.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Schrodinger56,

The guys have given some good information here, but I just want to clarify a couple of things.

The data roaming covers mobile data and MMS whilst outside the UK, but does not block texts or calls. This is how you were able to text your wife, but why you could not send a picture message (MMS) with this switched off.

Each service is charged differently, so mobile data is always charged differently to calls, whether roaming or in the UK. EuroTraveller allows you to take your allowances abroad with you to participating countries, so if you use this you can help to keep any charges down to £3 a day - only charged on days you use it. If you don't want to pay this but want to keep your bills under control though, switching off your mobile data and only using Wi-Fi when available is the best way to go.

Dave

I'm still unsure why I wasn't able to send a picture message back to the UK whilst abroad?

Hi schrodinger56

Thanks for your reply. If you have data roaming turned off on your phone whilst abroad then you won't be able to send picture messages as these require a data connection to send.

If you have data roaming on and everything else works then it will either be down to the MMS proxy settings on your phone or a lack of data coverage in your location. You do also need to be connected to 3G so if you do have a data connection but only in a 2G area this would also not send.

Thanks

Simon

Thanks Simon it's appriciated.

So when I recieved a text message from Vodafone when I arrived in Norway & Iceland detailing that a picture message woud cost 37p and a text message 8.9p I would have had to have turned on Data Roaming to send either a text or a picture message then presumably turned it off after sending it?

What concerned me was the warning when activating Data Roaming of possible significant roaming charges being incured, hence my reluctance to turn it on.

hrym

If a picture message cost 37p that, as far as I'm aware, is the same cost as in the UK.  However, you could send a text meaage without turning data on as this doesn't use the data network.

The danger with turning data roaming on temporarily is that anything that syncs in background would be able to do so and you might run up some extra data costs as a result.  If Euro Travelller works in Norway, then you could opt in to that your only cost would be £3 per day as usage would come out of your contract allowance (note that most contracts don't include picture messages).

Read your answers and I discovered a far better and free solution I found the other day. Just look up Roamy in the play store.

It's a very simple program which let's you decide which app has internet access when you're roaming, you can even set up a data limit per app.

I used it for Whatsapp, I set a limit for 2 MB which was enough for a month. Roamy made sure only Whatsapp had internet access during my travells.

Maybe this will help you.