Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 problems

12bazza
4: Newbie

Hi,not sure if anyone can help but here goes. Me and my wife have just got s5 phones which we are very happy with or we were. I play games on pc and last night i kept on getting kicked for ping being to high,so after a long call to sky broadband to try and sort this out he suggested turning off any wifi gadgets which we did and it turns out that my wifes phone is sucking wifi like it going out of fashion but mine is not. Checked her running apps and she is running no more than me so totally confused why this is happening!!

But mine has different issue as was connecting to mercedes bluetooth when i first got it 2 days ago but now it will not. Rung vodafone who put me through to samsung tech who told me to do factory reset but this never solved problem either. Did have this problem with my s3 but this was resolved when they did update but cant understand why it was connecting and isnt now. Any help would be appreciated

Barry

23 REPLIES 23

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member

Ok the wifi is a intresting one

and as your a S3 owners this can be easier then normal

Ok Your ping being High dies as Sky has pointed out be a wifi device this could be any number of things

even the router trying to talk to the Handset

Now you have looked at the Running apps but check active sync and the Location settings

then check the internet explore app it could be trying to keep a page open

also disable all Vodafone apps (Just for now )

and also Facebook app if you have this

Check to see what apps are on the wife's compared to yours.

Now for the car Reset the pairing on your car that should only temporary fix this

its the car that is at fault and not the phone ( in theory)

Now when you got these phones did they work fine ??? out of the box

and were the Boxes Sealed ?

as its mighty strange two phones with two differant issues   

Thanks northerndj for reply. Yes both boxes were sealed and both working fine. Will have to check to see if any apps/web pages are being kept open or being synced. We have tried different browsers as well to see if like you say they operate in different ways,ie keeping updating pages or settings.  We both keep location switched off as much as possible as we found this drained battery life on previouse handsets. As far as bluetooth is concerned on mercedes which is a works vehicle so not outside all the time so unable to check it again till Monday,the software is upto date on vehicle as i work for mercedes i got them to check this. I have done a factory reset on my phone over weekend as Samsung suggested so will see if this has made a difference. If all else fails on wifes phone we will try factory reset on hers as well.

Thanks again

Barry

Northern-dj

Nice that you work for Mercedes but the s5 is not on there List yet the Note 3 is but that would be intresting if that was checked with Kit Kat

You may find that a Firmware update on the car may be needed

Now as for your Ping this can be affected buy spyware addware or a virus on your PC as that could be using your internet with out you knowing just beeen to a customers house with a simular issue

Her comp was riddles with programs trying to use here internet

so it may be worth checking your comp as well

But sky internet is not the best use speadtest.net but try a couple of servers to compare

The speedtest.net was the one i was using. Bluetooth seems to be up and running again after reset on phone. Wifes phone had reset as well and speeds seem to be back to normal for this area!! Thanks again for your help northerndj. Hopefully we will stay up and running without any more gremlins(famous last words).

Barry

Hi again,this is now got out of hand with speed issue on internet as mine is now also draining usage. Have also tried at someone elses house and it does the same. The only thing that stops drainage is by turning both phones off wifi and onto data usage only which is not ideal. Without wifi on comp read 26 ping, 15/16 meg download and 0.56 upload and that is on sky unlimited which is upto 20mb speed. With phone wifi on its 494 ping, can be as low as 1.02 mb download and 0.01 upload. Really not sure what to do and cant understand why my s111 didnt have this issue.

Cheers

Barry

Northern-dj

Ok you need to take a look at what internet bassed applications are running

eg Facebook turn them all off

and active sync

I have ordered a S5 from Vodafone so i can take a look as to what is going on

the only thing i can think is something is trying to comunucate some how

Hi 12bazza,

I wonder if this is related to Facebook's Auto-play feature.

When it updates your Facebook feed, it will also begin to download any videos that other people have posted. They will then play automatically when you scroll through your feed.

I'd recommend turning this feature off. You can do this by going into Facebook, selecting App Settings and then make sure that Video Auto-play is switched off.

Thanks,

Matt B

Hi and thanks for reply. Have had background data turned off since I got phone to save battery life but to be honest it does not need this as battery is brilliant on this phone and I think this stops all auto back up anyway. Rung voda and they suggested sending phone back which   I have done now as it is baffling me  stupid. Saying that they also told me they could update software in store and flash memory which turns out to be rubbish so let's hope they have more luck back at base 

Barry 

The other thing i wanted to add to my last post is im now back using my s3 with exactly same apps and as far as i can same settings with no issues at all.

Barry