Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S5 problems

12bazza
4: Newbie

Hi,not sure if anyone can help but here goes. Me and my wife have just got s5 phones which we are very happy with or we were. I play games on pc and last night i kept on getting kicked for ping being to high,so after a long call to sky broadband to try and sort this out he suggested turning off any wifi gadgets which we did and it turns out that my wifes phone is sucking wifi like it going out of fashion but mine is not. Checked her running apps and she is running no more than me so totally confused why this is happening!!

But mine has different issue as was connecting to mercedes bluetooth when i first got it 2 days ago but now it will not. Rung vodafone who put me through to samsung tech who told me to do factory reset but this never solved problem either. Did have this problem with my s3 but this was resolved when they did update but cant understand why it was connecting and isnt now. Any help would be appreciated

Barry

23 REPLIES 23

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member

Ok did you have the sky and spotify app running

Not that i will be using them from what my contact at samsung said they are investigating reportes of these two apps still running when there closed

But they only work via 4G and not wifi any how

when i get my phone i have put this in my test list i can monitor what is going o, Now this will be stock out the box 

I don't use facebook so we shall see

For some reason I couldn't download sky sports so no neither were downloaded 

Barry 

Northern-dj

Found it

its a Vodafone App called updates

i have just recived my phone NO sim in

and got this connected on to my wifi i saw that the phone was using data so i force stoped the app then it stopped

it seems the app is trying to make a conection why i don't no but as this is via wifi it will fail

as the updates app only works via a data allowance

so Vodafone what is the Vodafone updates App upto ????

(don't think we will get a answer to that !!)

Why has the Disable feature been removed from this app ?

Did you check your home wifi and ping speeds before and after force stop? Was it draining your wifi as well? I hope someone has same issue as me with wifi drain or a few people,hopefully then voda will do something about it if it is this issue with what you have found.  And again thanks for your input..

Barry

Northern-dj

checked the ping with wifi on

3528783640.png

but i did some diging not only can you not disable the app

but here is the good bit disabling background data unless on wifi stopped the use

This app need a dissable feature as

1. It uses Battery power

2. it uses Data

clearly there is network traffic but i have not seen as much as you have

i have removed all the VF Junk which uninstalled

i have since looked at the permissions of the updates app

Screenshot_2014-05-29-01-57-34.png

This will be in another post as i have conserns on this but why does a app that is ment to be data only needs to snoop on wifi ????

You must be on super fast broadband with those speeds. Was there much of a difference when you turnoff  Wi-Fi off on ur  phone to your speeds . And do you think service provider and or modem would come into it. 

Barry 

Northern-dj

Once i had closed background data there was no differance with it on somthing was trying to do somert but Google play uses background data

i used the force stop then it cleared tempory then after five mins it came back on

as Mobile data is hard to keep somthing runing is not good

On the S3 it also does this But it can be dissabled so that solves that

so why has Vodafone take this off

so here we go again. Sent phone away and vodafone said it was going to take to long to repair so sent me new phone. All working fine...........until tonight,done software update and now back to rubbish ping rates and download speeds. Done what northern-dj recommended and thought that was end of problems. Please dont tell me another factory reset is going to have to done. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

drey_p

If you're having issues after updating your firmware, the first thing you should do is a factory reset (sorry). A factory reset will help to wipe any bits of dodgy code from the update.  It also reinstalls all your apps from scratch which help resolve issues with them not updating correctly.

PWIAC

Northern-dj

I have done the same update and there was a WiFi Fix and a Blutooth Fix as well as other tweeks

I would love to monitor this on my router see what is going on

when you got the phone did you test this out of the box ??? No other apps

also try disable apps that you don't want that ar in the running apps section

this is strange tho now