main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

S8 showing wrong number when using chat messaging

Cross1940
2: Seeker

I've just ported my old number to my new S8 but when sending a message using chat messages it still sends with the original SIM number. If I use SMS it sends with my ported number. Does anyone know how I can get chat messages to send with my ported number?

View more options
6 REPLIES 6
Getafix
16: Advanced member

I would say you might have to reset your phone to pick the new number up.

The number used for chat is the one that is picked up at the start of the Setup.

Obviously suggest you backup the phone before you reset so you can restore it to your current setup.

View more options
hrym
17: Community Champion

As a matter of interest, can you clear data on the Chat app and then set it up again?   Does that pick up the correct number then?   I'm not familiar with the app or recent Samsung devices, so don't know.

View more options
Getafix

wrote:

As a matter of interest, can you clear data on the Chat app and then set it up again?   Does that pick up the correct number then?   I'm not familiar with the app or recent Samsung devices, so don't know.

The Chat App is part of the Message Setup. Not sure you can remove it in the first place.

Yes there could be a way to reset it, however I have not tried it.

I will have a go on my Note 4 to see if can be done. 

View more options
hrym
17: Community Champion

@GetafixOn my old (aged) Samsung devices, Chat is a separate app.   What I was envisaging was doing a Clear Data in Settings|Apps.   If it's part of the Messaging app, that might have undesirable consequences and I wouldn't want to recommend it without knowing more about it.   Equally, It might be OK.

View more options
Getafix

I checked all possible settings option on my Note 4, but could not find the phone no displayed anywhere. So i son't think it can be changed unless it is a reset.

View more options
bazjohn11
10: Established

I've now got the same issue since a number change how did you solve it 

@Cross1940 wrote:

I've just ported my old number to my new S8 but when sending a message using chat messages it still sends with the original SIM number. If I use SMS it sends with my ported number. Does anyone know how I can get chat messages to send with my ported number?

View more options