main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Android

S9 Wifi calling (option missing from settings)

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
2: Seeker

Has anyone managed to get wifi calling running on an S9? 

Mine doesn't have the option in the 'phone' settings.  I have it activated on my account and I am elegible (phone contract purchased directly from vodaphone on a bundle that supports wifi calling) and it worked on my old S6.

I've tried a chat with a cust serv agent but she had no idea what to suggest.

I have the latest software updates.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
12: Established

I'd say that going by the previous problems people have had (including myself) with previous devices (S7/S8/Note 8) is you'll need to call Vodafone support up and ask them to force an "over-the-air configuration update" out, see this previous thread for the Note 8 which I believe should help:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/Note-8-WiFi-Calling/td-p/2572850

Sent from my Huawei Mate 20 Pro

View more options
29 REPLIES

I'd say that going by the previous problems people have had (including myself) with previous devices (S7/S8/Note 8) is you'll need to call Vodafone support up and ask them to force an "over-the-air configuration update" out, see this previous thread for the Note 8 which I believe should help:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/Note-8-WiFi-Calling/td-p/2572850

View more options

Thanks. I just did that and it was working within 10 minutes.

This is what is so frustrating about Vodafone, 90% of its staff just follow scripts which are incorrect about so many things.  Finding the right person to speak to can take ages and I wonder how many people just give up and move providers.  I had months of the same with my Sure Signal issues.

View more options

For anyone else reading this in the future this is what I did:

I called 191.  Said 'Wifi calling' to the robot when asked what I was calling about.  This puts you through to someone that actually knows how it works.  I explained the issue and he immediately said he is sending an update to my phone and it will be working within 10 minutes.  He also said I would need to restart my phone but actually I didn't even need to do that.

View more options

Yes agreed, the number of times I've been passed around it's highly annoying, especially when it's something that can be resolved in a short period of time! Glad you got it resolved though!

View more options
4: Newbie

I just phoned up - said 'WiFi calling' to the automated thing and I was put through to someone who knew what they were doing. He said there were no S9 OTA settings yet but it was correctly provisioned on my account.

I asked him to send the S8 settings as they were probably identical - to see what would happen.

He agreed to do this and the WiFi calling option appeared instantly in my dialer settings.

He said to wait a few weeks and phone back and ask them to send the S9 settings - as they should have them by then.

View more options

It's a standard response they say I've found, however the settings for all Samsung devices should be the same I'd imagine. 

View more options

Thanks for this thread, I now have WiFi calling working on my S9+.

I thought that this would also allow 4G calling to work but it isn't for me. Does anyone have 4G calling working on their S9?

View more options

I don't have it working on my Note 8, however, it's only available in certain areas.

View more options

I had it working on my S7 edge in Bristol, but still not on the S9. I hope the S9 gets it soon! Anyone else with an S9 have 4G calling working?

View more options

I have 4G calling working on mine. I forgot to mention it when I phoned them about WiFi calling but I assume it was enabled at the same time (part of the same settings or switch or whatever it was).

I'm just north of Southampton. 

I can also start a call on WiFi calling, switch WiFi off and it switches to 4G! Then switch WiFi back on and it'll switch back to WiFi calling!

There's nothing noticeable when it switches from WiFi to 4G but there's a slight blip of an interruption for a split second when it switches from 4G to WiFi. 

(This is on Vodafone firmware)

View more options

Thanks Pipefish. I'm actually not on Vodafone firmware which is why I don't think it is working for me. I bought sim-free and didn't realise that these features would be firmware dependant. Guess I won't be having 4G calling for the next 2 years then! 

View more options

I also bought SIM free. After being really annoyed and really not wanting to flash it for a while - I took the risk and flashed the Vodafone firmware. 

View more options

Fair play, you're braver than I am! However, having already been through the frustration of being on 4G, making a call, switching to 3G, hanging up and then the phone not really switching back to 4G requiring airplane mode toggle to resolve I'm considering it myself. Did you follow a guide? Haven't flashed anything since rooting my HTC Legend many years ago!

View more options

I originally followed a guide, but I've done it loads of times over the years. It is quite easy, but nervewracking.

You basically download a program called Odin - for Android 8 you have to use Odin version 3.13 or above.

Then you download your firmware files - sammobile.com is trustworthy.

Then plug your phone into your computer, put it in download mode, load your firmware files into Odin and press start.

With Vodafone there is only one firmware file with the CSCs for Vodafone in every country (or every European country?) they operate in. It's very easy to end up with the wrong CSC, and depending on factors I'm not sure of, it sometimes defaults to Vodafone Germany and you get stuck with that.

I can confirm it works on a direct from Samsung bought S9 with BTU/BTU/BTU firmware. When the phone first boots back up after flashing, everything is in German - you get a dialogue box with something about the SIM, select the option with the word 'Neustart' (reboot) in it. It then factory resets and starts up in English, hopefully with VOD/VOD/BTU in your software information.

xda-developers.com is a good place to look for information. There are a few big no nos, like, never select 'Nand erase', It's not too hard to find a reliable guide. I don't want to be recommending anything because I don't want anyone to trash their phone on my advice.

View more options

I have the same problem with an S9+ I got yesterday straight from a Vodafone store. I've done 3 webchats so far and all 3 said that they were going to send me a text message with settings to add the WiFi calling option to my phone, but I've yet to receive anything. It's enabled on my plan (I checked My Vodafone online) and I desperately need it as there's no signal at home; in fact I specifically changed to Vodafone as I needed WiFi calling so much

View more options

Have you followed my solution listed above? Each time I've lost it or not had it following those steps resolves the issue.

View more options

Hi @daveymagpie we're more than happy to chase this up for you, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options

Hiya mate if your struggling to get Wi-Fi calling set up forget live chat, forget going in store, ring this number and it takes 30 seconds. They have to send an OTA configuration out, you won't get a text or nothing the settings will just appear. Ring 

[Removed]  its same rate as landline so basically free, hope this helps you mate.

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

View more options

Hi, I still haven't been able to get this setup on my S9+ after getting a new sim (Red Plan). Previously I got it working through the online chat, but I've tried that multiple times and no one seems to be able to do it. Has anyone else had any luck getting this working? @Vodafone, can you help me get this working?

View more options