cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

S9 Wifi calling (option missing from settings)

bwakem
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Has anyone managed to get wifi calling running on an S9? 

Mine doesn't have the option in the 'phone' settings.  I have it activated on my account and I am elegible (phone contract purchased directly from vodaphone on a bundle that supports wifi calling) and it worked on my old S6.

I've tried a chat with a cust serv agent but she had no idea what to suggest.

I have the latest software updates.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jonspittle
12: Established
12: Established

I'd say that going by the previous problems people have had (including myself) with previous devices (S7/S8/Note 😎 is you'll need to call Vodafone support up and ask them to force an "over-the-air configuration update" out, see this previous thread for the Note 8 which I believe should help:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/Note-8-WiFi-Calling/td-p/2572850

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra.

View solution in original position

29 REPLIES 29

I have 4G calling working on mine. I forgot to mention it when I phoned them about WiFi calling but I assume it was enabled at the same time (part of the same settings or switch or whatever it was).

I'm just north of Southampton. 

I can also start a call on WiFi calling, switch WiFi off and it switches to 4G! Then switch WiFi back on and it'll switch back to WiFi calling!

There's nothing noticeable when it switches from WiFi to 4G but there's a slight blip of an interruption for a split second when it switches from 4G to WiFi. 

(This is on Vodafone firmware)

Thanks Pipefish. I'm actually not on Vodafone firmware which is why I don't think it is working for me. I bought sim-free and didn't realise that these features would be firmware dependant. Guess I won't be having 4G calling for the next 2 years then! :Angry_Face:

I also bought SIM free. After being really annoyed and really not wanting to flash it for a while - I took the risk and flashed the Vodafone firmware. 

Fair play, you're braver than I am! However, having already been through the frustration of being on 4G, making a call, switching to 3G, hanging up and then the phone not really switching back to 4G requiring airplane mode toggle to resolve I'm considering it myself. Did you follow a guide? Haven't flashed anything since rooting my HTC Legend many years ago!

I originally followed a guide, but I've done it loads of times over the years. It is quite easy, but nervewracking.

You basically download a program called Odin - for Android 8 you have to use Odin version 3.13 or above.

Then you download your firmware files - sammobile.com is trustworthy.

Then plug your phone into your computer, put it in download mode, load your firmware files into Odin and press start.

With Vodafone there is only one firmware file with the CSCs for Vodafone in every country (or every European country?) they operate in. It's very easy to end up with the wrong CSC, and depending on factors I'm not sure of, it sometimes defaults to Vodafone Germany and you get stuck with that.

I can confirm it works on a direct from Samsung bought S9 with BTU/BTU/BTU firmware. When the phone first boots back up after flashing, everything is in German - you get a dialogue box with something about the SIM, select the option with the word 'Neustart' (reboot) in it. It then factory resets and starts up in English, hopefully with VOD/VOD/BTU in your software information.

xda-developers.com is a good place to look for information. There are a few big no nos, like, never select 'Nand erase', It's not too hard to find a reliable guide. I don't want to be recommending anything because I don't want anyone to trash their phone on my advice.

I have the same problem with an S9+ I got yesterday straight from a Vodafone store. I've done 3 webchats so far and all 3 said that they were going to send me a text message with settings to add the WiFi calling option to my phone, but I've yet to receive anything. It's enabled on my plan (I checked My Vodafone online) and I desperately need it as there's no signal at home; in fact I specifically changed to Vodafone as I needed WiFi calling so much

Have you followed my solution listed above? Each time I've lost it or not had it following those steps resolves the issue.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra.

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @daveymagpie we're more than happy to chase this up for you, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Hi, I still haven't been able to get this setup on my S9+ after getting a new sim (Red Plan). Previously I got it working through the online chat, but I've tried that multiple times and no one seems to be able to do it. Has anyone else had any luck getting this working? @Vodafone, can you help me get this working?

Hiya mate if your struggling to get Wi-Fi calling set up forget live chat, forget going in store, ring this number and it takes 30 seconds. They have to send an OTA configuration out, you won't get a text or nothing the settings will just appear. Ring 

[Removed] its same rate as landline so basically free, hope this helps you mate.

MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]