main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

SD Card

SOLVED
View solved solution
MarkTopping
2: Seeker

I have got a new  32g SD card but my phone is still saying I haven't enough storage. I can't update or install. My phone is a Vodaphone 890N.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

Just be careful about not updating apps as these updates often contain important security updates.

While an update for an app maybem say 50MB, that doesn't mean the update will use up an extra 50MB of storage as a lot of update (not all) will overwrite the original file. Of course if the app update is adding new featues then it may well end up increasing in size.

The safest way to proceed is check in the Play Store what the update is giving you, if is mentions security at all, you realy need to update.

Huawei P30 ELE-L09,

Android Version - 10 EMUI Version 11.0.0 (Custom Version VDF.GB 10.0.0.8)

Last Update 3.3.2021

Build- 11.0.0.159(C431E11R3P3)

Baseband- 21C20B388S000C000
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

View solution in original position

View more options
5 REPLIES 5
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Some phones will only allow items such as music , pictures and videos to be moved to the Sd Card. 

Not all allow the movement of items such as Apps from the phones storage to Sd Card. 

So your internal storage may be used up by apps. 

The internal storage of your phone I think is 4gb so some of that will be already taken up by the android operating system leaving around 3gb'ish left for you to use. 

That's not really a lot left to use in today's standards. 

You may need to delete unused or rarely used apps and things like emails , texts , mms, calendar entries and notes. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View more options
AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @MarkTopping

With the phone having a small internal storage, the first thing to look at will be your texts message and call logs, if you have a lot of stored messages and a long call log, try freeing up some space by clearing your call log and deleting old texts messages.  Also only keep the essential apps and delete anything not needed.

Your SD will be fine for media and any photos, but you need a phone with a minimum of 16GB internal storage,  even that is barely enough for a smartphone.

View more options
MarkTopping

Thanks, that's helpful. As it was a new phone for me and I didn't have loads of info on it, what I've ended up doing was getting it back to factory settings - it immediately started to fill up the internal storage again as it was updating everything, so I stopped that and will be very selective on what I update! Cheers.

View more options
SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

Just be careful about not updating apps as these updates often contain important security updates.

While an update for an app maybem say 50MB, that doesn't mean the update will use up an extra 50MB of storage as a lot of update (not all) will overwrite the original file. Of course if the app update is adding new featues then it may well end up increasing in size.

The safest way to proceed is check in the Play Store what the update is giving you, if is mentions security at all, you realy need to update.

Huawei P30 ELE-L09,

Android Version - 10 EMUI Version 11.0.0 (Custom Version VDF.GB 10.0.0.8)

Last Update 3.3.2021

Build- 11.0.0.159(C431E11R3P3)

Baseband- 21C20B388S000C000
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

View solution in original position

View more options
MarkTopping

Thanks for that too!

View more options