Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SECURE FOLDER

DRUIDDOODE
13: Advanced Member

Hi after months of trying to get a screen shot of the unknown number in my secure folder I've finally found out how to do it 

So this is my concern if this is military approved security how can a number that is not in my phone book or even show usage as I don't use the internet option in secure folder I am baffled and because I couldn't post I screenshot Samsung said it is impssible for this to happen to a contact phone.the only option I can think of is my device has been compromisedScreenshot_20171108-134859.png

I've scrubbed out part of the number but I have tried for monts to phone it and is seems it's not active as I have tried a good few times and it is never switched on and has never sung once but it is not even similar to my number  from research it seems an 02 number and im  on Vodafone contract.

This might seem trivial to some but it definitely concerns me any one got any ideas or info about this as Samsung say it can't even happen but here it is  

The only app I use in here is my banking app yet it says I have used over 7 gig which makes it more strange I have not used any other app in secure folder not even g mail or any Google or Samsung app just my banking to say bills

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

The other apps in your screenshot have what looks like a secure symbol by them, but not this one, so it looks as though the unidentified number's usage is more generic.   Is there another usage monitor that shows usage related to your number, or has the unidentified number somehow attached itself to your phone?   That might happen if the phone wasn't completely new, or had had another SIM in it (albeit only briefly) before you got it - possibly.  The fact that it's an O2 number doesn't mean much as it could have been ported to Vodafone.

There's another thread relating to SamsungID, although I think that was the correct number but a different name.   However, if another number has latched itself to the device, that might explain it.

The first thing to try, if it worries you, I'd have thought, is a full reset.  It's a bit of a pain and I don't have experience of the Samsung secure folder, so don't know whether resetting affects it.  I'd rather assume it does, though, as it would be a security thing.  Alternatively, is there a way of resetting or wiping the secure folder?

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DRUIDDOODE - This is strange!

With it Samsung being the manufacturer, please get back in touch with them.

I hope you get this resolved.

If you do find out what’s happened please let us know.

DRUIDDOODE

I have already been onto Samsung and last time I. Checked apart from some help from one of the great helpers there they don't seem interested and it has taken months to get that screen shot out of secure folder with that data on 

Up until that point there was an advisor on live chat who said it was impossible yet there it is I've done no sideloading and any thing to compromise my device security at all and with the playstore there is no need and I have about 8 apps and 2 are content blockers a guitar tuner and my Vodafone my.main use is forum's like this and documentarys take up most of my usage on you tube.

And after my last live chat were I was left and after 20 minutes I just picked up my guitar and started noodling and just left it to see how long I would be left and it was at least an hour and 20 minutes before they cut the line so I posted the details on Samsung forum and it got investigated but I haven't heard any thing 

It seems things only get resolved when it affects a few people and they start making a fuss but one customer too major corporation means nothing unless it would affect there brand negatively 

I may be wrong but that's the impression I get 

I'm afraid to say

hrym

The other apps in your screenshot have what looks like a secure symbol by them, but not this one, so it looks as though the unidentified number's usage is more generic.   Is there another usage monitor that shows usage related to your number, or has the unidentified number somehow attached itself to your phone?   That might happen if the phone wasn't completely new, or had had another SIM in it (albeit only briefly) before you got it - possibly.  The fact that it's an O2 number doesn't mean much as it could have been ported to Vodafone.

There's another thread relating to SamsungID, although I think that was the correct number but a different name.   However, if another number has latched itself to the device, that might explain it.

The first thing to try, if it worries you, I'd have thought, is a full reset.  It's a bit of a pain and I don't have experience of the Samsung secure folder, so don't know whether resetting affects it.  I'd rather assume it does, though, as it would be a security thing.  Alternatively, is there a way of resetting or wiping the secure folder?

DRUIDDOODE

Hi I have factory reset and although it solved that problem I then had noticed Spotify using large amounts of background data so then that appeared in secure folder data usage with restricted next to it 

And Spotify pap never been near secure folder as I didn't see the need but once I turned it back on it just totally disappeared 

But if you go into permissions in your app page and press the and press tier three dots toes all permissions it comes up microphone and he you tap that it says can record and use microphone without your consent but you can u use the microphone any were in Spotify not even to search for songs you have to type one letter at a time 

I don't understand why can say needs none or a few and then you tap the Top right and get a huge list 

If there is no permission then why and how can they hide a bucket load with the three dots and this is not just spotify there are few 

I'm convinced that's how some apps are getting in secure folder without introduced to it 

This was a brand-new device I got in febuary and as not been ported 

hrym

I don't use Spotify, so can't comment on that.   Permissions are quite broad and the BBC iPlayer is quite interesting on what it needs and why - I assume some of that would apply to others.   A lot of apps do give themselves blanket permissions, but you can turn them on and off as you wish.

It wasn't the device I was referring to as being ported but the O2 number.   If, for some unknown reason, another SIM had been put in it before you had it, that might have latched the number to the phone.   What I meant was that the number could be with Vodafone now, even if it was initially issued by O2.

DRUIDDOODE

On  the Samsung you do have the option to turn off permissions but you get warmed your ddtgadwmaw won't function as intended 

So they try terror tactics so you don't disable them 

This permissions stuff really gets under my skin 

I'm sure most people have no idea how much they are monitored 

It's not that I have amt thing to hide it's the sneaky ways in which it's done 

hrym

Toggleable permissions are part of Anroid and not specific to Samsung.   Any good operating system will warn you if you do something that might affect how it operates (try killing a running process in Windows!).   That's sensible and not scare tactics.   Revoking a permission may change the way an app operates and, in some cases, stop it working altogether.   You'll normally get a prompt to re-enable next time you go in, in some cases followed by a messagethat the app won't work without the permission.  It's perfectly safe to revoke permissions and see what happens.   As an example, if you deny the camera app access to storage (assuming you can), it wouldn't be able to store images, which would be pretty pointless.

All free apps will fund themselves either by advertising or by hoovering up data - it's a quid pro quo.   However, most of what they take is aggregated and poses very little individual threat.

I'd still recommend looking at the description of the BBC iPlayer app on Google Play as it includes a useful explanation of what permissions it needs and why.   Obviously, not all apps are as well-behaved, but it's a handy primer.