cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S7 Digistizer Broken - Is it worth replacing?

nnrbrtsn
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So I've had my Samsung Galaxy S7 for about 2 years now and it's due to get upgraded end of July. The phone was really falling apart (wifi not working correctly, phone randomly deleting things etc etc.) but I could grin and bear it for another month or two so I don't need to pay for an early upgrade (around £80). 

However just tonight I was using it and I dropped it, and the touch screen has stopped responding completely. I tried a hard reset etc. etc. but nothing has worked. The screen itself is not damaged, and I did some googling and I think that it is just the digitizer that is broken? I'm not sure how much it would be to get this fixed, but the screen was previously cracked slightly in the bottom corner and I'm not sure if that would affect the price of the repair or not.

Is it worth just paying for the early upgrade or should it be cheap enough to pay for a repair? I wouldn't mind using a third party shop as explained the phone only needs to last me another two months.

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @nnrbrtsn 

I'd say No to a repair you would need to pay for.

It would most probably be more costly for the repair when compared to the early upgrade charge  !

If it's over 2 years old it's out of the warranty Vodafone apply and Samsungs own 24 month manufacturing warranty.

A Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre can give a costing.

Vodafones Info is How-do-I-book-a-device-in-for-repair.

As the screen has a crack they would need to replace that also to carry out the work needed.

There's a chance it's all attached to each other too.

You could see what a Highstreet Store that advertises they repair phones charge or pay the early upgrade fee > What-s-a-Flexi-upgrade-and-how-do-I-get-one.

Or pick up a cheap phone to put you on from Vodafones own Payg range or from shops that sell phones such as CEX or Game or Cash Converters etc.

Or see if any Home Contents Insurance covers a phone and or some Bank Accounts provide cover as a perk of the account.

T&C's and Excess Fees would apply.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I'll second @BandOfBrothers  suggestion to buy the cheapest device you can find that give you as much functionality as you need for two months.   Maybe even look at secondhand?

It sounds as though your phone has a hard life, so maybe invest in a case when you have your shiny new one? :Smiley_face_with_shades: