main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Samsung Galaxy S7 Oreo Update Rolling out today!

SOLVED
View solved solution
Widget21
2: Seeker

Just downloaded this update and installed it, HURRAY! However, phone is not starting as it's going through a bootloop, NOTHURRAY!!! So think twice before you decide to update this latest firmware. Voda and Samsung should look into this urgently!!

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
P0p5

Samsung support...

Troubleshooting approach for Vodafone Oreo update currently affecting S7 and S7 Edge...

1) Simulate a battery pull
2) Wipe cache partition
3) Factory reset
4) Re-flash ROM

Here are the methods for each step...

1) SIMULATED BATTERY PULL

a) Put phone on charge using the wall charger.
b) Press Volume down button and power button at the same time and hold for about 7 seconds.
c) After 7 seconds, release the power button, then release the volume down button.

2) WIPING CACHE PARTITION

a) (Phone should be off) Press volume up button, home button, and the power button at the same time and hold until you see a download screen, (you will see an android fella).

b) In the recovery menu, using the volume buttons, highlight the line in the the says, "Wipe cache partition", then press the power button to select.

c) You will get a warning, highlight, "Yes" with the volume keys and press power button to select.

d) If successful, "Reboot system now" will be highlighted, Go ahead and press the power button to start the reboot.

If unsuccessful, you will need to factory reset the device.

3) FACORY RESET

a) If not already there, invoke the recovery menu, (step (a) in the "WIPING CACHE PARTITION process above.)

b) In the recovery menu, using the volume buttons, highlight the line in the the says, "Wipe data/Factory reset", then press the power button to select.

c) You will get a warning, highlight, "Yes" with the volume keys and press power button to select.

d) If successful, "Reboot system now" will be highlighted, Go ahead and press the power button to start the reboot.

If unsuccessful, you will need to re-flash the device.

4) RE-FLASH ROM

Contact Samsung support or visit your nearest Samsung Experience store, you will need to provide proof of purchase.

Note. It is possible to re-flash the ROM yourself, but if this operation is carried out by anyone other than an authorised Samsung engineer, YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

If your phone is out of warranty, contact Vodafone as it is their update that has caused the issue and Samsung will charge you for a re-flash if out of warranty.

View solution in original position

View more options
31 REPLIES 31
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Widget21

Good to hear Oreo 8.0 became available. 

Did you download the update from your phones software update section or from another source ?

Can you try a factory reset or if you can't get into the settings then turn it off and perform a hard reset. 

Be aware both factory and hard resets wipe the phone of your user info. 

If your still stuck then a Vodafone High street Store maybe able to offer to send it away and or if you have one local pop into a Samsung Service Centre or Samsung Experience Store. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View more options
63johnw

Hi @Widget21 had the same issue today, only solution was a factory reset from recovery mode, colleague sitting next to me had the same issue.

View more options
pinkpound
4: Newbie

Mine updated fine and no boot loop but I lost Wifi calling ..again  (simfree BTU)

edit.. sorted wifi calling I toggled it on/off twice in my account then waited 30mins and text CALLING TO  97888 and it now works

View more options
Navrig

Same issue with mine.

Vodafone have obviously screwed up big time with this roll out.

Useless.

I go a call from their upgrade team last week.  I wonder if they will upgrade me to BT/EE.

View more options
nippa
1: Seeker

Please be aware......

At Samsung  Stoke five of us were having our S7s flashed with at least five more phone calls describing the problem.

That was in the first hour from 9 -10

Clearly this upgrade is not compatatable with something but what? 

My first thought was that a virus checker was responsible but we were all using something different.

After the flashing which took longer than expected everything looks fine.

View more options
Sasja

Vodafone Business Customer here.

This update has also bricked my phone. What do I do - can I get this fixed at a shop?

View more options
Webreaper
7: Helper

Seen the same thing - Oreo update installed on my S7E last night, and now my phone infinitely bootloops. Colleague at work saw exactly the same thing. Something is clearly broken with this update. 

Vodafone staff, can you urgently address this problem, and post clear and concise instructions on how to fix this. Currently my phone is effectively bricked, and this is down to a bad software update by Voda/Samsung. 

View more options
pinkpound

Have you tried going in torecovery and clearing the cache  ?

Turn device off  then press power button + volume + home button all at once

Use vol up/dwn to navaigate   select clear cache then go to reboot

View more options
Webreaper

Ended up having to factory reset. Which is particularly irritating. Vodafone, how could an update like this go out and go so wrong?!

View more options
fangface666

Same here, S7 updated yesterday morning and phone got stuck in loop, gets to the point of "optimising applications 67 of 67" then shuts down and starts again.

tried forced reboot, tried safe mode, still the same.

tried using recovery mode to wipe cache.

now it wont turn off at all, just gets stuck in the bootloader loop.

The only way to stop it is to enetr recovery mode and leave it on that screeen, as in bootloader loop it was getting very warm!

I dont want to do a master reset yet as I dont want to lose all my data, so I am trying to find a way to roll back the firmware to the previous version.

Annoyed that my phone is bricked through no fault of my own.

View more options
63johnw

Hi @fangface666 if you are not already aware head to SamMobile to find the previous firmware, only try it if you are confident in what you are doing, hopefully you can get it sorted, I still think a factory reset may be required but you never know !

View more options
fangface666

Cheers 63johnw, I'm currently DL android 7.0 firmware from Sammobile now, but as I opted for the free account it's going to take 3 hrs.

Not too sure it's going to work as the only time my pc recognises the phone is plugged in is when I choose "update via ADB" in recovery mode.(but when I say recognize I mean the pc makes the "der dink" audio acknowledgement but doesn't physically show up on screen)

Even Odin doesn't recognize it when plugged in, I'm just trying all options before the dreaded master reset.

View more options
63johnw

@fangface666 doesn't sound good, a while since I did any firmware flashing, you may struggle if the computer can't see the phone. Good luck, I was lucky in a way as it was my work phone which didn't have much in so a reset wasn't a massive issue for me.

View more options
Navrig

Factory reset fixed it for me.

I have suggested to Vodafone's Facebook people that they should post a message on there giving some guidance or caution about accepting the update.  Ignored of course.

They did reply to my post of the page so they are active on FB.

As usual they are totally not proactive and would rather deal with the problem that suggest solutions.

Their online chat was helpful to a degree but when booting to safe mode didn't solve the issue they stopped giving advice other than take it to the shop.  Only an hour and half drive time or more if you have to take public transport.

View more options
Widget21

I managed to fix the bootloop after reading and trying the recovery method after having contemplated to download previous version Nougat 7.0 and flashing it with Odin on a PC. Then, the recovery method seemed an option to clear the cache and reboot, this didn't work so the only unpalatable option was to carry out a factory reset, which worked this but at a price of losing all your data that I should've backed up initially.

Recovery method:

Press home + power + volume up buttons at the same time. Thus only works from a powered off device. To force this first, press power + vol down only. This might restart the device if you don't let go oof the buttons quickly enough. Just keep trying until you get it right.

In recovery mode, use vol down to go down to factory reset option and press power button to select. Vol. Up to select reboot.

Hope this helps.

View more options
P0p5

Samsung support...

Troubleshooting approach for Vodafone Oreo update currently affecting S7 and S7 Edge...

1) Simulate a battery pull
2) Wipe cache partition
3) Factory reset
4) Re-flash ROM

Here are the methods for each step...

1) SIMULATED BATTERY PULL

a) Put phone on charge using the wall charger.
b) Press Volume down button and power button at the same time and hold for about 7 seconds.
c) After 7 seconds, release the power button, then release the volume down button.

2) WIPING CACHE PARTITION

a) (Phone should be off) Press volume up button, home button, and the power button at the same time and hold until you see a download screen, (you will see an android fella).

b) In the recovery menu, using the volume buttons, highlight the line in the the says, "Wipe cache partition", then press the power button to select.

If unsuccessful, you will need to factory reset the device.

3) FACORY RESET

a) If not already there, invoke the recovery menu, (step (a) in the "WIPING CACHE PARTITION process above.)

b) In the recovery menu, using the volume buttons, highlight the line in the the says, "Wipe data/Factory reset", then press the power button to select.

If unsuccessful, you will need to re-flash the device.

4) RE-FLASH ROM

Contact Samsung support or visit your nearest Samsung Experience store, you will need to provide proof of purchase.

Note. It is possible to re-flash the ROM yourself, but if this operation is carried out by anyone other than an authorised Samsung engineer, YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

If your phone is out of warranty, contact Vodafone as it is their update that has caused the issue and Samsung will charge you for a re-flash if out of warranty.

View solution in original position

View more options
Webreaper

I contacted Vodafone customer services today, to find out what's being done about this issue - as I wasted a huge amount of time and effort setting up my phone again after the bad update bricked it. Here's the response I got:

"Mark, as I can see that Vodafone is just a network provider. whereas the Oreo update is for the phone which is Android update and we don't have to deal or interfenece in taht."

(taken straight from the chat transcript). The guy basically told me it wasn't Vodafone's problem. Pretty bad really. I'll be speaking to their customer service department tomorrow. 

Pretty disappointing that no Voda staff have commented on this issue yet, given that it's clearly widespread. 

View more options
nippa

In my case I wasn't able to power off or do a hard reset.

For several hours the unit was so hot to touch that I thought that there was a real danger of a battery fire and took precautions. After 6 hours it went cold.

At least the guys at the Samsung Tech Centre were very helpful , flashed the ROM and then checked the unit ..... free of charge just as you would expect.

Only time will tell if the battery life has been affected by the excessive heat.

View more options
Navrig

It may not be Vodafone's fault but it is their problem and they should have been much more proactive in communicating with customers who have the problem handsets.

Their current "silence" or inactivity is not what I would describe as good customer care.

I am seriously considering my options.  I have 4 contracts expiring in October with two involving new handsets.  Prior to this mess up Vodafone was the go to provider.  At the moment they are not.  Where I live Vodafone and EE/BT are the best signals so a move to EE/BT is an easy to do option and I bet they will do some great introductgory offers.

View more options