main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Samsung Galaxy S7 Oreo Update Rolling out today!

SOLVED
View solved solution
pinkpound
4: Newbie

Both of the S7E's in our house hold have had no problems in respect of the Oreo update  both are simfree BTU

1st is sim only vodafone

2nd BT sin only

I get the impression its the Vodafone branded Oreo thats causing problems ?

View more options
fangface666

Ended up managing to revert to android 7 firmware but got a "data partition corrupt  please reset phone" message.

so annoyingly had to do a reset from the recovery mode anyway.

so now ive lost all my data through no fault of my own and have to set my phone up again from scratch!

View more options
fangface666

Just as an FYI, once the phone was reverted to android 7 and still clean (although it was in the process of downloading the apps from Google back up, nothing had yet installed) I went through the software update process via the phone ( because at this stage it's wiped, and if it cocked up again at least I know how to get it back) and now have Oreo installed and working on the phone, so it seems the issue may be with one of the apps.

Hope the rest of you get your phone's back, just annoying I have to start from scratch again.

View more options
Adam

Hi @Navrig  We’re happy for you to discuss any firmware related queries, so we’ll always leave one main thread open for each phone. We’ll then direct any new queries about the same phone, to the original thread.

As this would be a general discussion, we won’t respond to any questions, but we’ll monitor the thread and pass any comments back to the business where appropriate.

View more options
Webreaper
7: Helper

So people's phones have been bricked and have to be factory reset and you're not going to comment? 

View more options
Navrig

@adam not really sure what you mean with your comments other than it looks, to me, to be a shoulder shrug which doesn't deal with the issue of Vodafone burying their heads in the sand and not addressing issues properly.

That's the sign of a poorly managed organisation which doesn't seem to understand or care for its customers.

What a shame!

View more options
Navrig

Deleted.  Posted in error.

View more options
andyscrane
1: Seeker

Don't touch this update. It trashed my perfectly good Galaxy S7.

I negotiated an upograde but Vodafone sent me the wrong phone, which is now tied to my account and Vodafone will not correct other than have me send it back and be without a phone.

useless service - try O2!

@P0p5 wrote:

Samsung support...

Troubleshooting approach for Vodafone Oreo update currently affecting S7 and S7 Edge...

1) Simulate a battery pull
2) Wipe cache partition
3) Factory reset
4) Re-flash ROM

Here are the methods for each step...

1) SIMULATED BATTERY PULL

a) Put phone on charge using the wall charger.
b) Press Volume down button and power button at the same time and hold for about 7 seconds.
c) After 7 seconds, release the power button, then release the volume down button.

2) WIPING CACHE PARTITION

a) (Phone should be off) Press volume up button, home button, and the power button at the same time and hold until you see a download screen, (you will see an android fella).

b) In the recovery menu, using the volume buttons, highlight the line in the the says, "Wipe cache partition", then press the power button to select.

c) You will get a warning, highlight, "Yes" with the volume keys and press power button to select.

d) If successful, "Reboot system now" will be highlighted, Go ahead and press the power button to start the reboot.

If unsuccessful, you will need to factory reset the device.

3) FACORY RESET

a) If not already there, invoke the recovery menu, (step (a) in the "WIPING CACHE PARTITION process above.)

b) In the recovery menu, using the volume buttons, highlight the line in the the says, "Wipe data/Factory reset", then press the power button to select.

c) You will get a warning, highlight, "Yes" with the volume keys and press power button to select.

d) If successful, "Reboot system now" will be highlighted, Go ahead and press the power button to start the reboot.

If unsuccessful, you will need to re-flash the device.

4) RE-FLASH ROM

Contact Samsung support or visit your nearest Samsung Experience store, you will need to provide proof of purchase.

Note. It is possible to re-flash the ROM yourself, but if this operation is carried out by anyone other than an authorised Samsung engineer, YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

If your phone is out of warranty, contact Vodafone as it is their update that has caused the issue and Samsung will charge you for a re-flash if out of warranty.

@P0p5 wrote:

Samsung support...

Troubleshooting approach for Vodafone Oreo update currently affecting S7 and S7 Edge...

1) Simulate a battery pull
2) Wipe cache partition
3) Factory reset
4) Re-flash ROM

Here are the methods for each step...

1) SIMULATED BATTERY PULL

a) Put phone on charge using the wall charger.
b) Press Volume down button and power button at the same time and hold for about 7 seconds.
c) After 7 seconds, release the power button, then release the volume down button.

2) WIPING CACHE PARTITION

a) (Phone should be off) Press volume up button, home button, and the power button at the same time and hold until you see a download screen, (you will see an android fella).

b) In the recovery menu, using the volume buttons, highlight the line in the the says, "Wipe cache partition", then press the power button to select.

If unsuccessful, you will need to factory reset the device.

3) FACORY RESET

a) If not already there, invoke the recovery menu, (step (a) in the "WIPING CACHE PARTITION process above.)

b) In the recovery menu, using the volume buttons, highlight the line in the the says, "Wipe data/Factory reset", then press the power button to select.

If unsuccessful, you will need to re-flash the device.

4) RE-FLASH ROM

Contact Samsung support or visit your nearest Samsung Experience store, you will need to provide proof of purchase.

Note. It is possible to re-flash the ROM yourself, but if this operation is carried out by anyone other than an authorised Samsung engineer, YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

If your phone is out of warranty, contact Vodafone as it is their update that has caused the issue and Samsung will charge you for a re-flash if out of warranty.

View more options
Adam

Hi all, I appreciate it's really frustrating having troubles with the update, which we're very sorry for.

This is the information we've been given to provide to our customers, I hope it helps.

Step 1 :

Please make sure that the device is either off or already stuck in the boot loader screen.

Step 2 :

Press and hold Volume Up + Power + Home Button and wait for recovery screen to load ( try multiple times as there are 3 buttons and

the sequence can be incorrect at times).

Step 3 :

Use the volume keys to highlight “Reboot Now” or “Reboot” and press power key to start rebooting.

Step 4 :

Sometimes the handset starts normally. If the handset shows “ Downloading XX of XX” then wait for 1-2 minutes ( the screen automatically goes away )

and the device starts in normal mode resolving the boot loader issue.

View more options
o0herbie

Just wondering why this thread shows 'solved'. A factory reset is NOT solving this issue, it's by-passing it. 

View more options
alawn71

I ran the Oreo update on my Samsung S7 Edge on Sunday, effectively bricking my phone in the process. Vodafone staff claimed I was the first case they had seen with this problem, and to speak to Samsung. Samsung have fixed for me, but have had to wipe the phone completely. All my data lost, all because of an update that clearly has not been properly tested before release! 

Vodafone are accountable for this mess - what are they going to do about it? Probably just deny all knowledge again. Not a happy customer and seriously looking at my options elsewhere now.

View more options
Webreaper
7: Helper

I spoke to Vodafone again today and they said the same thing - ie it wasn't their responsibility and they'd not heard of it before. I pointed out that the rom is customised for them, and eventually they apologised and let me cancel my contract a couple of months early with no penalty. 

View more options