Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S7 "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I've got a Galaxy S7, which was locked to Vodaphone and want to be able to use it instead of my MotoG which is on another Netwrok.

My problem started when I installed the EE SIM into the Samsung S7, and it asked for the "SIM network PIN". As a novice I assumed this was the SIM PIN supplied by EE on the SIM Card. However, as I found to my cost, it was asking for Network Unlock Code (NUC), as the phone was locked to Vodaphone. But due to attempting to enter the WRONG SIM PIN too many times, it is now asking for the "SIM network PUK".

'Direct Unlocks', requested the unlock codes from Vodaphone and  have sent me both:

1. Network Unlock Code  & 2. Defreeze Code

However, when I power up the Samsung S7, it comes up with the following prompt:

"SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK"

I have tried entering both the NUC and the Defreeze codes at this prompt, but both result in the following response on the Samsung S7, "Network Unlock Request Unsuccesful".

I can see that other people have had the same issue, and a 'Moderator' seems to be of great help!!

Can you advise...thanks!!

Regards

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Anonymous We'll be happy to help get your phone unlocked for you 😊 We'll need to access your account to discuss this further. So we can do this, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us. 

View solution in original position

99 REPLIES 99

I have replied to your last email 

Ive been in touch woth Samsung. They are adamant its vodafone who need to give an MCK code. Ive been on the online chat 6 times today. Last guy suggested I factory reset my phone🤯🤯

Same issue here. Galaxy s8 plus comes up with "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK."

Been on with vodafone support 6 times today. Last one suggested i factory reset my phone🤯🤯. Reading the posts here seems all I need is the MCK code😩😩

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

It's disappointing to hear you're having difficulty unlocking your handset @celt and this hasn't been resolved. So I can take a closer look into this for you and help get this sorted, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us.

Hi everyone,
Maybe I missed it but I dont see a newer thread on this. The issue Im having is exactly the same,but on my Samsung Galaxy S8 that I got from Vodafone on a 24m contract where now Im trying to use with Giff Gaff sim.

So prior to finding this thread, the story so far:
-Showing SIM network PIN blocked message for any non-Vodafone sim I ever inserted.
-I got NUC via mail a few months ago but shows unsuccessful.
-Vodafone advises its to do with the sim and to get in touch with Giff Gaff
-Giff Gaff told me its not blocked and its Vodafone that needs to unlock the device.
-In effort to determine who is right, I tried the sim on a relative's device that uses Giff Gaff as well and it works fine.
-Contacted Vodafone again to update on the above and Im asked to request a new NUC via the online form.

By this point, I doubt that getting a new NUC will sort the issue however. I followed the thread so far but didnt quite get the exact way it was solved. Could someone advise who should be contacted or what should be done next?

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @SK1234 - a Personal Unblocking Key (PUK) code is associated with the network SIM rather than the phone. Take a look at our support page for details. It's unusual that you're getting this in one phone but not another. 

We'll need to a look into it further, along with the unlock issues you're having, please come and speak to us on Facebook or Twitter. :Smiling:

Hi Amanda, thanks for the prompt reply. I will try to get in touch via FB.

Yes, PUK code being mentioned hints toward the sim card but I am now quite convinced that the prompt screen on the phone is somewhat misleading. It otherwise makes no sense that a sim would be blocked to the point of needing a PUK code but work on any other device.

Moreover, I got exactly the same message around a year ago when I tried my Vodafone Malta sim card (still seen as different to Vodafone UK) but one that worked fine with an unlocked phone. At the time, I didnt wish to pursue the issue while I was outside of the UK and had an alternative device but it does hint towards my Vodafone device not tolerating any other sim card.

Hi @SK1234 👋 Please let us know how you get on. One other possibility is if the NUC code has been entered incorrectly multiple times an MCK code may be needed from Samsung, if this is the case the team will be also be able to request this for you.

Hi Andy,

No news so far. That did cross my mind as well although I dont remember ever seeing NUC coming up on my screen and that it would specifically mention MCK code being needed (instead of PUK). I think I saw some people here mentioning the MCK as well but didnt know if their issues were exactly the same.

Would it be possible to request this from Samsung regardless?

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

@SK1234 I'm not 100% sure if you're able to request this directly through Samsung yourself (feel free to try this and let us know how you get on), however, if you pop the Social Media another message, they'll definitely be able to request this for you 🙂