Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy S8 data drop out during calls

jthom189
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have had a new samsung galaxy S8 for about 3 weeks and have recently found that occasionally during a call my data connection will dissapear. This has mean't that google maps cannot operate as their is no data connection available to support the software. Has anyone else had this issue? It's happened twice in the last week. I'm also new to vodafone having recently changed due to signal issues where I live with my old network.

many thanks

25 REPLIES 25

hrym
17: Community Champion

There have been a number of reports of this and (I think) if affects unbranded as well as branded devices.  That would point to an issue with Samsung firmware rather than Vodafone's iteration of it.  Whether it affects other networks, I don't know.   It seems to occur when the phone steps back from a 4G connection to 3 or 2G in order to take or make a call.   This is normal as 4G is data-only.   The phone should then hand back to 4G when the call is completed.

I haven't myself used speech and data at the same time, so can't say whether this can be done, but I can't see why it shouldn't be possible (in the same way that you can use broadband and talk on a landline).   If it was widespread across other makes/models, I'd expect to hear more about it, so it does seem to be something specific to the S8.   Is the phone dropping back to 3G or 2G, do you know?  In the latter case, the connection is usually too slow to accomodate the data requirements of current apps, so it could be that they're timing out rather than failing completely.   Again, this would not be manufacturer-specific, though.

Assuming Samsung are aware of this, I think all you can do is wait for an update form them.

Hi Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I can confirm that the phone drops from 4G to 3G during the call and then will drop to 2G sometimes depending on the area I am in. But it wont go back up to 3G automatically during the call hence no updates on google maps as there is no data availability. It will only return to 3G or 4G when I end the call and this will be instantanious.

best regards

Julian

All beng well there should be an update rolling out from 10/11 that may fix this issue and also bring a new exciting feature to S8 users.

hrym

If the 3G signal is weak, your phone will drop back to 2G.  Also, 3G is a contended service so the range can contract if the cell is getting heavy usage.   Dropback under these circumstances is more likely if you're on the edge of the coverage.  I've seen it myself, though not duiring a call as I rarely use voice and data at the same time.  4G isn't contended so, once you have a connection, you should keep it, but it isn't compatible with voice, so you'll then drop back anyway and get into the realms of conention on 3G.

It sounds as though everything's working as it should, tbh.   The only issue (and the one I've seen elsewhere) is the step back up to 4G when you end the call.   It's possible that, in a busy cell, you simply can't get back onto 4G immediately.

Software update out today and brings a new feature, Who will be first to find it and enable it ? 

Just had the update so we'll see if this has made any difference through todays driving and using calls!! Fingers crossed!!

Hi All,

I can advise that the update has made no difference whatsoever. Ah well I will keep chasing this as appart from the issue with data dropping out and not reconnecting I'm very happy with the improved phone signal at home and at work compared to my old network. Its just a shame I havent found everything I expected yet.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jthom189 I'm sorry to hear the software update hasn't provided a resolution to this problem. 

Please can you confirm that under your mobile data settings on your phone, the 'Voice and Data' option is set to 4G? Having this set to anything less, can sometimes cause problems like this to occur.

Hi @Coleen , I can confirm my data is set to 4G/3G/2G (auto select)  add shown in the attached screen grab. Also when I visited one of your stores a tech had a look at my phone settings and couldn't find anything obviously wrong.  

I think I have found this issue as I use Google maps as my sat nav app and as I work away from home I spend a lot of time on my phone talking to my wife. This issue occurs primarily in the Midlands. I did contact Samsung once but can't remember what contact method I used.  I will contact then again to raise this issue add is is proving to be very inconvenient.  I never had this issue with my old provider three but changed to Vodafone as the coverage is better in my home.  

thanks for your help 😀

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @jthom189.

Please let us know how you get on after contacting Samsung regarding this.