main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Samsung Galaxy S8 sticking focus on rear camera!

Lightfunkyone
3: Seeker

Hi, as title states, my rear camera focus sticks, all software is up to date.

I've reset the camera etc. etc. and it still sticks if not used for some time, the only way to get focus back is to tap the lens or shake the phone, and to be honest I'm not impressed that I have to do this for it to work properly...you can expect that on a cheap chinese £100 device but not on a flagship phone!!

Anyone else had issues?

How do I go about sending this back for repair...I mean physical camera replacement?

View more options
9 REPLIES 9
Lightfunkyone

Captured at a firework display,Captured at a firework display,

View more options
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Lightfunkyone

If it' under 30 days old then ask Vodafone for a new replacement. 

If it's over 30 days then it's a repair. 

My suggestion is if you have a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre location local go there first for help as Vodafone Highstreet Store would send it away. 

Try a hardware test: go over to your dial pad and type in *#0*#, this will bring up a number of tests.

Back Camera: Select Mega Cam. Align your phone and tap the ‘capture’ icon to take a photo. Verify that the flash works during this as well. Review the photo and let us know the results.

Let me know if your cameras focus correctly in this mode. If they do, then it highlights a software issue, if not, then I'd recommend popping into a Service Location to have your phones looked at by a trusty engineer.

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View more options
Lightfunkyone

Thanks for your response, I have used the suggested tip, and all is fine, I wanted to capture something earlier and the camera wouldn't focus at all, I had to tap the lense to wake it up...you'd think it was a manual focus issue but this is not the case, the mechanism for focusing seems to stick, it's been there since new ( only had it since 22nd of September) and I thought my lens was dirty the first time I came across the problem. 

The nearest Samsung Store to me is 18 miles away ( as the crow flys).

I've read on other forums that there is a problem and Samsung are aware of it.

View more options
BandOfBrothers

You’re very welcome.

If This has been happening from Day 1 then really it would have been a better move to have it replaced for a new one within the 30 initial period. 

Its a shame you do not have a Store more local. 

Have you checked if you have a Service Location nearby. Some are Carphone Warehouses. 

If not then a Vodafone Highstreet Store can send it Off. 

Be sure to create back ups and if your on an eligible contract type and they have one in stock ask for a courtesy phone. 

Take time and date stamped pictures of the phone to prove its aesthetic condition and one of it turned On and another of the water sensor in the SIM card tray slot. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

View more options
Lightfunkyone

Same again, nearest support centre is 20 miles away (Manchester), to be honest if I knew it was a permanent problem I would have returned it, it's not like I use the cameras a lot and feel pretty annoyed that I have a faulty product from new and to send it for repair just 7 weeks later!

Thanks for your input.

View more options
BandOfBrothers

Take a look at the Consumer-rights-act 2015

”The first six months.

If you discover the fault within the first six months after buying the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time of purchase - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought it - it's not up to you to prove that it was.

If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or price reduction - if you wish to keep the product.”

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

View more options
Lightfunkyone

Thanks,

It pains me most that I have to return it, I have an OCD kind of complex :Face_with_mask:

View more options
BandOfBrothers

Totally appreciate that. 

I take a lot of time myself painstakingly setting up my s8 for my usage needs. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

View more options
asiadra
2: Seeker

We’re you able to solve the problem?

I bought my camera in December last year ,and suddenly started to have problem with rear. Camera focus , I did not drop it but it seem technical issue as when you tap it on the top or back focus comes back.

View more options