main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Samsung J3 2017 - Touch Screen Zooming

SOLVED
View solved solution
Samdy
4: Newbie

I can touch screen zoom in and out when viewing a photograph in the gallery, but cannot touch screen zoom in and out of a playing video?

I could do this with both my previous phones: S3 Mini and S4 Mini.

Am I missing something? Phone bought and set up in store yesterday 26 Feb 2018

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
raymartin52
13: Advanced Member

Video zooming IS available on the J3, but you have to enable it. Go into Accessibility on the Settings menu, then select Vision. If you enable Gestures, triple-tapping the screen will zoom it in. You can pan around the zoomed screen using two fingers.

View solution in original position

View more options
12 REPLIES 12
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

@Samdy Thanks for getting in touch. I've just found this on the Samsung J3 User Manual page:

Pinch the screen using your thumb and forefinger or spread by moving your fingers apart.

• Pinch the screen to zoom out while viewing a picture or a web page.
  • Spread your fingers on the screen to zoom in while viewing a picture or a web page.

I've also found a page that says the option is still available.

• Zoom In or Out on a Picture or Video: Tap the screen twice or pinch the screen to zoom in or out on a picture or video.

Have you contacted Samsung? It seems strange that this wouldn't still be an option 🤔

Please pop back to us and let us know how you get on, this could be really useful information for other community users.

View more options
Samdy

Hello TJ and thanks for your help and suggestions.

I have been with Vodafone over 15 years now and have had a number of smart phones in that time.

I have been zooming in and out of photographs and videos in all this time too - but it really may be the case the J3 can't do this with videos?

I joined Samsung Community and posed the same question on their forum, but their forum seems pretty dead compared to the Vodafone forum, so it's possible they may not get back to me as you have done?

Zooming videos is important to me and I can't belive that Samsung have ditched this with the J3, incredulous! Like wise, I can't find a torch on the J3 either, so will now have to start lugging a torch around with me in the dark evenings.

What's going on at Samsung, (dropping essentials like this) - my favourite phone company for many years.

View more options
Samdy

TJ - can you please direct me to the page number in the manual that says the feature: zooming in a video is still available in the J3. I have downloaded the J3 manual and can't find it. Thanks.

View more options
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

@Samdy I've found this page here, but I believe it's the Samsung J3 Emerge that say's it still has the video zoom option. 

View more options
raymartin52

If you drag down from the top of the screen, a number of options appear, one of which is Torch.

View more options
raymartin52

Video zooming IS available on the J3, but you have to enable it. Go into Accessibility on the Settings menu, then select Vision. If you enable Gestures, triple-tapping the screen will zoom it in. You can pan around the zoomed screen using two fingers.

View solution in original position

View more options
Samdy

Thank you raymartin52, and also TJ for hanging in there...

raymartin52 solved the problem, but Samsung have made a simple task so cumbersome compared to my old S3 Mini and S4 Mini.

Here's what I had to do with my J3 2017: -

1. Settings>Accessibility>Vision>Select: Magnification gestures

2. When video is running Tap Screen 3 times QUICKLY! in succession

3. An orange box then surrounds the screen, so that you know zooming is available

4. Zoom in and out in the usual way, BUT...

5. Zooming-in doesn't just zoom the video - it also ZOOMS OUT THE CONTROLS! Forward, Back and Pause.

6. So, you have arrived at a piece of video to perhaps freeze and look at, but no control to pause - you have to fish around to find the pause button as it is out of view and way down, 'somewhere'?

7. To return to normal view re-tap the screen QUICKLY! 3 times and the orange box disappears

Summing-up - It works. But I was surprised that all the controls zoomed as well as the video.

View more options
Samdy

raymartin52 - I had already found this, thanks.

View more options
raymartin52

You can pause the zoomed video by just tapping the screen once and tapping again to restart.

View more options
Samdy

Hi raymartin52 and thanks so much for all your help.

Tapping the screen didn't work for me - I can only pause by fishing around for the pause button.

My problem may be that I fitted an Omoton protective screen protector to the phone - but having said that all other scrolling, screen tapping, etc. etc. works ok with the screen protector on - and I am loathe to remove it as it was tricky to fit in the first place.

I really think it is a Samsung problem overall - as apart from what I have already said - not only do the Forward, Back and Pause buttons zoom OUT with the video and get VERY large with the zoomed-in video - the SCROLL bar at the bottom of the screen also disappears whilst in zoom mode - so one cannot just go backwards or forwards a few frames; as the bar is no longer there.

I thought, thinking back but no longer have the old phones - the Forward, Back and Pause buttons AND the scroll bar were "always on top" so to speak, and didn't zoom in and out with the video. When watching the video these would disappear so you could watch the video uncluttered - then if you wanted them back they would return by touching the screen, but in the same small size as before - separate from the video itself. Hope I explained this clearly?

Thanks for your perseverance - really appreciated.

View more options
raymartin52

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very clearly,  I'll try again!

If you tap the screen when it is zoomed in, the previous file, pause and next file buttons appear on the centre of the screen, and the scroll bar and other buttons are at the bottom. A bit fiddly perhaps, but definitely there.

HTH

View more options
Samdy

Agreed, and apologies, your explanation was clear.

However,

1. for me to freeze the video at any point, on my J3 2017 it requires two QUICK taps on the screen, not one

2. and to continue the video, again two QUICK taps on the screen (Not one tap, so are some J3 2017 versions different, I wonder?) My J3 was only purchased 10 days ago.

3. Agreed, scroll bar is indeed at the bottom - but fiddly as you say.

4. I am just puzzled why the buttons (themselves) zoom in and out, from small to enormous - as afterall, one is watching a 'video' not the buttons?

Having said all that, your explanations and guidance have been well reserved and got me working with zooming videos - so thanks again.

View more options