main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Android

Samsung S5 mini - WIFI scanning issue

Highlighted
2: Seeker

I have 'Samsung S5 mini' every time I use my WIFI on my phone, it keeps scanning for other connections every few seconds which disconnects the internet until it connects back to my chosen WIFI?

Please help anyone as its so frustrating.

Thank you.

View more options
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Hi @Danielsun82

If you have saved the network, it should stay connected to your chosen network.  However, try disabling  WiFi scanning  in your scan settings, this will stop the phone for scanning for available WiFi networks.

To turn scanning off, first turn off your WiFi, you will then see a message at the bottom to the effect 'to improve location accuracy, the system will still seach for WiFi networks' .  You can change this in your scanning settings. Click on scanning settings. WiFi scanning disable scanning.

View more options
Highlighted

I don't have a 'scanning settings' button option on my phone, the only closest thing is a 'scan' button which only appears while WIFI is on BUT nothing happens when I click on it?..

View more options
Highlighted

Once you have a connection, the device should stay on it, even if it's also looking for other networks.   However, if the signal is weak, it's possible that it's dropping out and that might explain the disconnection.

View more options
Highlighted

Yes my connection does stay on but once it starts to scan it breaks off my WIFI signal?

I use my home WIFI and it is a very strong signal.

View more options
Highlighted

@Danielsun82 Do any other devices you own have a similar problem to this? It's odd that it's scanning elsewhere if you mentioned your Wi-Fi has a strong connection. I'd also suggest that if you have 'Wi-Fi Assist' enabled, (can also be known as ’smart network switch' on older devices) that you turn this off. The reason for this is, if at any time your Wi-Fi drops connection, your data could take over, then if it picks back up, your Wi-Fi would take over again. Let me know how you get on. 

View more options
Highlighted

' Do any other devices you own have a similar problem to this? '... No

My Smart network switch is Turned Off.

What other solutions are there?

View more options
Highlighted

Does it do this on all networks (ie everywhere) or just in one location?   If you've only tried it with your home network, it might be worth telling it to forget that and then setting it up again, just in case it's something to do with the connection it has.

View more options
Highlighted

'Does it do this on all networks (ie everywhere) or just in one location?' ... Yes this happens to all networks (ie everywhere).

View more options
Highlighted

Ah.  It's definitely a device issue, then.

Have a look in Settings|Apps and see if you can find one that relates to wifi (I've never looked for that myself).   If there is, force stop it and clear its data.  That may solve the problem.   If not, we're looking at a factiry reset, but I'm hoping we can avoid that.

View more options
Highlighted

No I can't seem to find any realtion to a WIFI on Settings|Apps.

Yes I do want to aviod a factory reset...

View more options
Highlighted

@Danielsun82 It would appear to be a device related issue with the Wi-Fi consistently scanning. Have you tried visiting our representatives in store, they may be able to assess your settings within the phone or check for any faults? 

View more options
Highlighted

I'd rather not have somebody handle my phone, I want to try fix this on my own from you guy's advice.

I am concerned it maybe a fault in the phone?

View more options
Highlighted

@Danielsun82 As we're unable to physically assess the phone, we're unable to diagnose the fault with the device. We'd need to go through your phones settings and review the condition of the phone hands on. Once we've explored all avenues as to what the fault may be then we'll be able to advise a fix.

View more options
Highlighted

I understand. Thanks.

View more options
Highlighted

It would be worth letting a Vodafone shop have a look as this may be something that can be fixed when you can examine the device.   Bear in mind that a factory reset would be part of any repair process, so make sure you have everything backed up before you head off, just in case that's the way it goes.

View more options