Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung S7 Edge - New 600mb Software Update 12/8/18

Nakatomi_Uk
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Has anyone else recieved this notification about a new software update I am very very skeptical about updating because I updated my S7 Edge to Oreo and it was fine, but when it came to updating my partners S7 Gold it totally screwed it up. So much she now has a pink line down the right hand side of her screen every now and then and it's out of warrenty since I've just gone over for both of us a new 12 month Sim Only contract the update on her phone kept looping and looping and the only thing that worked was to remove the SIM card and Memory Card and it finally updated.

I don't want it to brick any of our phones because we need them badly

1 REPLY 1

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Nakatomi_Uk

As long as the software update is coming from your phones software update section then it's safe. 

However it's entirely up to you if you wish to update to a newer version of firmware. 

However to add this will include Security Patches that imo are important. 

If a phone glitches after a software update then it's recommended to...

1st > Clear the System File Cache which is performed by turning the phone Off and then from a set series of button presses will take you into the System File Cache. 

None of your personal information is lost this way. 

2nd > After creating a back up then Factory Reset.

Your info is lost this method hence the back up. 

The pink line you talk about is nothing to do with the software updates etc.  

I had a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge that had this happen to it. 

The issue is hardware based. 

The connector between the screen and motherboard is the culprit. 

The Samsung Engineer showed me that gently pressing on the top left corner of the screen made the pink line go away for a short while. 

Samsung replaced the screen on my phone under the 24 Month Manufacturing Warranty. 

I appreciate if your 24 Month Manufacturing Warranty is all used up but it wouldn't harm to ask Samsung to help as it's a known issue. Your call. 

There is a troubleshooting tip where you can invoke coloured panels on the screen which in some cases has been known to help in regards to the pink line.  

Key in *#0*# and choose the coloured panels and let them each show on the screen for a few seconds. 

If that does not help then a new screen is required if it's bugging you. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.