Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Security

DRUIDDOODE
13: Advanced Member

First off this is not sent with malice nor at any one on this forum 

But for at least the last six months I have been hearing about monthly security updates so  have been researching Google protect as well and is seems that the s8 a flag ship device as only just got it but what about the rest of us on s7 edge and below,I get the feeling were small change now they have our money.

My security patch is June and there is info all over the web about vulnerabilities in the operating system yet nothing gets done,they don't even take them down and on top of that itar a shock to see how a device can be hacked.how are we supposed to online banking were everywhere your turn or certain sites you visit are scanning your phone whilst you browse 

I didn't believe this myself until some one 

Showed me how it's done but obviously didn't follow through as it's illegal and unethical but scary all the same

1 REPLY 1

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hey @DRUIDDOODE

I totally agree in regards to Security Patches which is something I follow more closely than firmware updates. 

I'm on the 1st of August security patch probably because my phone is an unbranded version purchased Directly from Samsung.

Branded phones which you have sometimes trail behind due to the Networks testing them before allowing Samsung to push out the security patch / firmware updates. 

In regards to security etc on my phone.....

Android phones are open source which has its Pro's and Con's.

This is why some prefer iPhones as Apples iOS is Sandboxed but that's why some jailbreak which also did !

To mention > I use all the Security Access options to restrict access to my phone if the worst happens. 

I personally do not use any downloadable Security / Virus App's. 

I personally do not have the inbuilt Virus Scanning Device Security Activated on my s8.

They imo own personal opinion use huge resources on the phone will little return apart from giving the owner a form of feeling safer on the Net. There are lots of write ups and blogs offering differing opinions on Security Apps. 

My habits are not to use apk links - sideloading. 

Not to click on unknown links in emails or website pages. 

Only use Internet Banking on a Network Data Connection. 

I use a Content Blocker. 

I do not leave my Bluetooth or Hotspot On and am careful who connects to it 

Not to let my phone out of my sight as not to let anyone out of my family or circle of friends have physical access which is the most common form I suspect of having a phone compromised. 

Over the many years I've been using various phones , platforms, jailbreaking  and touch wood I've never had any issue or encountered a person who has been truly infected even though some thought that they had.

Yes I've read media reports like many on various malwares alerts etc but if one reads it fully most of it is Media scaremongering.

The only time I've been hit was a key logger Trojan on my Windows Pc which resulted in someone trying to access my Bank Accounts after I made a Paypal Transaction. I sold the Pc and bought a MacBook Air. They are imo hit less thsn Pc's as more people use Pc's resulting in a higher hit attack but nothing is invulnerable.  :Sad_face:

To conclude Yes Security Patches should come as they are ready and to advise what I do / activate on my phone isn't necessarily what others should do and is entirely at the owners discretion and comfort level. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.