cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Setting up 4g calling ready for next year.

gazmix8
4: Newbie

Hi

i have received a text saying 3g calling will end next year. I entered my IEMI number into the check box & it says that my Sony Xperia X Compact is compatible with 4g calling so i contacted a Vodafone worker via Facebook messenger & he sent me a few texts & to text CALLING to 97888. I did this & it said WiFi calling is added but nothing about 4g calling..

How can i make sure that my phone has 4g calling ? or is the WiFi calling & 4g calling the same? 

Regards

gazmix

120 REPLIES 120

i got through on the phone (couldn't believe it), spoke to a nice guy who checked my account & said it's been enabled, put me on hold a while & then said my SIM card is 6 years old & this is an issue with provisioning 4g/WiFi calling so he's sending me a new SIM & then gonna call me back Thursday or Fri to see whats what. Fingers crossed the secret menu will give me option then to enable VoLTE 🤞

Not sure about the Sim being the problem, mine was from a previous phone and may have been older than that but give it a try.

My phone was the one after your one so it will be different. The only problem I have had is the calls cutting off after 29 minutes 50 seconds when calling with 4g. There is a massive thread about this and it was not only Sony phones that had the problem. It is fixed now thankfully.

If it works on your model then you don't need to move any sliders. The provisioning is sent over the air and the only thing you may need to do is to restart your phone.

Not getting mi hopes up but yeah.. when i entered the iemi code it did say the device is partially ok with 4g calling. 

My device does restart itself because of something i've done when using it. 

Nice, so your old Xperia can work next year?..  Gives me hope.  Thing with Xperia's they've got pre-installed fm radio that don't eat into yer data which i need for a reason.. it's a disgrace, something so simple is ignored on latest phones and there's contractual problems wi radio apps. A free radio could save lives. 

I guess i'll try the has/star etc number to see if it's there, VoLTE ain't anywhere else in my phone settings 

My current XZ1c will work next year, any older ones will not. That phone was bought from Vodafone so has Vodafone Firmware on it. Phones without Vodafone Firmware may not be able to get 4g calling from Vodafone but may be able to do so from other providers.

If you look in the other secret menu, -  Dial -  Star Hash Star Hash 7378423 Hash Star Hash Star - Go into Service Info - Software Info - and scroll down to the Current Modem Config. Mine says

/system/etc/customisation/modem/amss_fsg_lilac_vodafone_uk_volte_vowifi_tar.mbn.

If your one says another provider then you may be out of luck but I'm not sure. Someone from Vodafone will know, I wish they would tell people instead of getting them to jump through hoops for weeks.

Oh dear I'll check on that as this phone is from music magpie.

It says my blank white triple format SIM is on its way but surely its not blank, doesn't it have my account details on it?, maybe it has just not my numbers etc.

I'll look at the other menu and report back. 

Yes I agree, I get so many texts and emails about upgrades that I don't want I oversee them so I'm glad I saw this as opposed to sorting it last minute. 

Screenshot_20220628-213249.png

 cant see anything about another provider but I'm no expert 

@gazmix8 , Telefonica is O2, so even if Vodafone can provision 4g calling then you might have the calls cutting out after 1/2 hour problem that others have had. I'm no expert though. If it does not all work with Vodafone then you might have more chance of success by switching to O2, still no guarantee though.

Don't worry about swapping your Sim card, there are simple instructions with it and Vodafone will do everything that is necessary. Even if your contacts are stored on your Sim card they normally are also stored elsewhere too, including your Google account. If you are still concerned then do a Backup or two, there should be more than one way to backup things on that phone.

It all sounds complicated. My Google backup is on.

Because it says a blank white triple format sim I wondered if it has my account contract on it, number and data allowance etc but I guess obviously will. 

Also, can i activate the SIM using pc then transfer to phone when activated?  Seems the simswap page ain't working at the moment also stuff on the mobile app

Thanks

There are simple instructions for existing numbers.

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/welcome.html#:~:text=1%20Log%20on%20to%C2%A0My%20Vodafone%202%20Scroll...

Google is very good at storing your contacts.

Ah so my contacts will still be in phone contacts when I put in new sim. That's good. The guy on the phone said to follow this. Hope it works with VoLTE

Screenshot_20220629-114705.png