Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sky Sports Mobile TV not working - Android 10

GreenShell2014
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi. The Sky Sports Mobile app is no longer working ever since I updated my Google Pixel 3 XL to Android 10.

I've tried everything suggested on chat. The app needs to be updated from Sky I assume. However, I've contacted Sky and they have said that as it's Vodafone that offer the service to it's customers, they need to contact Sky to escalate the matter.

I got in touch with Vodafone again and they said they would email on my behalf. This was a week ago and I've had no reply.

I have looked for help on Sky forum and there's discussion on there too about Sky Sports Mobile TV no longer working since Android 10 was launched. I've also seen on Twitter it being mentioned.

I've contacted Vodafone on Twitter and they gave me the usual suggestions. Reinstall app, clear cache/data etc. They are oblivious to Android 10 whenever I mention it on Twitter or on chat on the Vodafone app.

I use Sky Sports all the time. I had no hesitation choosing it for my Red Entertainment. It seems like Vodafone and Sky were not ready for Android 10 to be released and I haven't seen it work for anyone that's updated their phones to Android 10.

I've emailed developers of the app. I've chatted to the Vodafone team on the My Vodafone app. I've contacted Sky and Vodafone over Twitter. I've registered on Sky forum where there are other people that have the same issue. No one on Android 10 has it working. What else can I do?

23 REPLIES 23

@Pbilby wrote:

That is unbelievable that Vodafone are passing it on to Sky and not willing to compensate customers for a service they cannot use. Surely, something needs to be done to ensure the app is working asap!

They are not consistent with their replies. Everytime you speak to someone, they talk in a way as if there's a solution. There is no solution yet. The app needs an update. Yes, Sky need to do that, but I've been in touch with the developers and they said Vodafone need to get in touch as they offer the service. It should never be up to the customer to contact Sky. That's just bad advice. Vodafone offer the service as Red Entertainment. They need to be on the case but neither Vodafone or Sky were ready for Android 10. It's easy for developers to be on the ball as Android launch beta versions before releasing a final version. That's when the testing should be happen and that's how they could be ready. But the app hasn't been updated since 2017. Sky don't care. Vodafone clearly don't stay in touch with them over these sort of matters. It's been 2 months now and nothing! 

I have got Vodafone to reduce my bill by £10 every month. I've also asked them to out me on NOW TV until it is sorted.

I think that's the best solution, if you can get them to agree to something like that. 

I have asked them what my position is re cancellation of the contract as they aren't providing me with the service I'm paying for. I've said I'm not happy about paying for it and not getting sky sports but they aren't interested. I took the contract 2 months ago specifically for sky sports. Not heard back yet.

@TonyPotter wrote:

I have asked them what my position is re cancellation of the contract as they aren't providing me with the service I'm paying for. I've said I'm not happy about paying for it and not getting sky sports but they aren't interested. I took the contract 2 months ago specifically for sky sports. Not heard back yet.

Speak to them again. Go up the hierarchy. They'll try and mention the possible solutions, ignore all that. Mention that they've acknowledged it doesn't work. This thread is proof from Vodafone moderators. Also, all the app reviews for Sky Sports Mobile TV from everyone on Android 10 is proof. They can check that on the Play Store. They will hopefully budge.

I spoke to them on chat. Saved the transcript. Told them to check it when I spoke to them. They gave me a reduction and a different service. Main reason I joined was to watch the Premier League however.

Will do, I'll update if I get anywhere

Hi Mark / Vodafone

Please could you provide an update on the situation. Many of us are paying for a service we cannot use (and are chasing refunds) and when we call Vodafone they are oblivious to the issue and around in circles we go again.

Do you guys not have any issues log which is shared between departments?

Good luck, I've been told 3 times now that I have to contact sky as Vodafone have no control over it. They also tell me that I get sky sports for free (which obviously isn't true) so can only offer one month worth of sky sports refund and that's it!

That’s rubbish isn’t it!

I have contacted Sky and they said they cannot help and that Vodafone should resolve.

I’m getting dizzy going around and around in circles with Vodafone. 

I only took the phone out for the Red Entertainment/Sky Sports offer too, just 4 weeks ago! 

Keep me posted if you hear anything else and I will do the same 👍🏼

@Ozarkis1 wrote:

That’s rubbish isn’t it!

I have contacted Sky and they said they cannot help and that Vodafone should resolve.

I’m getting dizzy going around and around in circles with Vodafone. 

I only took the phone out for the Red Entertainment/Sky Sports offer too, just 4 weeks ago! 

Keep me posted if you hear anything else and I will do the same 👍🏼

There's clearly no dialogue or communication passed down from Vodafone. Rubbish customer service. Wasting their own time and our time. The help team need to be aware that if it's an Android 10 phone, it simply doesn't work. So when a customer enquires about it, let them know. Each conversation, be it on phone, chat, Twitter, takes forever coz they have their usual suggestions, thinking one of them will work. It's not worked for 2 months! Look at the reviews on Play Store. All recent ones are 1 star from people on Android 10.

Sky don't care about the app. They last updated it in 2017. Vodafone should make them care as they're selling phones with the promise of Sky Sports with Red Entertainment.

How can a mobile company be so unprepared with this sort of issue? Android launch beta versions before a final release. Developers that way can work on their app so it's ready when the final release of a new version (Android 10) is available. Obviously there is no one associated with Vodafone that is dealing with this sort of thing.

Ask for refunds until it works. I've managed to. £10 off every month until it works. Also, change plan until it works. Getting NOW TV for now.

Take the complaint further.

Why did the Mods remove my response just now?

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi all, thanks for raising this to us. We're aware of the issue and understand how frustrating it must be, not getting the most out of your Entertainment Plan. 

If you get in touch via one of our social channels here, we'll be happy to take a look into an alternative entertainment option for you; until the apps been updated. 

Make sure to pop your username and link to this thread in your message too, this will save you having to explain again and we can help you quicker.