cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart N8 Freezing, Shutting Down (SD Card Issue?)

TheRandomeer
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Starting last night, my phone began to slow down considerably to the point of freezing while using my normal apps. It forced itself into a restart and claimed the SD card was removed (it was not). Upon opening it up, taking out the SD card and putting it back in, it worked fine. Now it is doing the same thing this morning. :Sad_face: It keeps trying to update the MyVodafone app, which I never use (claims I am not using data when I am, etc.) and again says the SD card is removed. I tried fixing it one time this morning but upon start up I could not even unlock the phone (swiped up to get rid of time display, phone freezes, shuts down). I've had this phone for no more than two months and can not go in for the next few days to see Vodafone in person. Any suggestions? I'll just keep opening it up to fix manually until then...

EDIT: All the apps and photos stored on my SD card are now mysteriously gone. SD card claims to have 1.38GB used, but no apps, music, photos, etc. Luckily I have my other device (Droid Turbo 2) to take photos with most of the time, but honestly? I also can not reinstall any lost apps. 

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @TheRandomeer

What a nightmare !

If this was my situation id try...

1. Another Sd card in your phone and your Sd Card in another phone as a process of elimination.

2. Put the phone into Safe Mode which will turn off all the downloaded apps and leaves the stock ones alone which can then help you see if its a rogue app. 

3. Ensure no updates are pending for the Apps or Firmware. 

4. If the phone allows this process shut down the phone and then via a set series of button pressess that takes you into the phones file system and clear the system cache. 

5. As a very last resort Back up and Factory Reset. 

6. Let a Vodafone High street Store send the phone Off under the 24 month manufacturing warranty as long as it isnt showing signs of a drop or water damage. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I just got back home (had to run errands but the nearest Vodafone Store is 1.5 miles away so I plan to go in on Tuesday). I've been trying to reinstall critical applications like Facebook Messenger off of the Google Play Store but they fail and deliver me error code 907 and 963 which, according to other websites, seem to be a sign of SD card corruption. I'm not sure from what, but my phone is rendered an expensive paperweight for the timebeing. I will see what I can do about trying out those steps, but I'm not sure how to do things like enter safe mode and clear system cache on this particular device so I will try to figure out those procedures using other websites :Laughing_Face:

Thank you for your reply, I will continue to try my best to fix this before going to Vodafone in person. 

What happens if you remove the Sd Card and leave it removed and then download your apps ?

Current Phone  >

I tried booting the phone up in safe mode, with SD card in, and the errors continued.
Taking out the SD card and trying to download resulted in the app installing, so I guess there IS something wrong with the SD card. It only had 1.38 out of 14.46gb filled, so I'm not sure what... 

Yes it could be  

One option is to reformat the Sd card which will unfortunatley wipe it and you'll hopefully be able to start again and or replace the Card. 

Current Phone  >

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

SD cards do fail, though fortunately not as frequently as used to be the case. Also, there seems to be more variability between cards than the simple speed ratings might indicate. So I'd suggest double-checking exactly what spec of card the phone requires, and perhaps buying one of a different brand from the one that you have been using.

hrym

I've had a card fail.  The phone just announced it no longer had one.   It wouldn't read in a PC either.   If you can still read the card, get the files off it as soon as possible and get a new one.

The firmware in the card will allocated write areas randomly to prevent any one being over-used, but the silicon does have a finite life and will wear out eventually.