main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Android

Smart N9 (VFD 720) - how to format SD Card as Internal Storage

Highlighted
3: Seeker

Does the Smart N9 support using the SD Card as internal storage? The settings/storage/SD card option only lists portable storage.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

View more options
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Hi @mmore

I always use gsmarena for phone specifications.  As you can see from the link below, the N9 has an expandable memory card slot and supports a micro SD up to 32 GB.

GSMArena - Vodafone Smart N9

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @mmore

The option to move items such as  certain apps from the internal storage of the phone to the Sd Card is usually allowed on flagship phones. 

What I would suggest is to pop into a Vodafone High street Store who should be able to go through this with you. 

I've performed a search and looked at under manuals and nothing I've seen is 100% decisive if the option is available. 

It would be in the settings where the apps are and if the option to choose storage options is allowed. 

It's definatley a smart move to check this option out as 16Gb of phone internal storage isn't a lot these days. 

Hope that helps.    :Smiling:

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.1  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted

Bear in mind that, if you do format the card as internal storage it will:

Be slower than with just internal memory
The card will only be usable wth that device and will have to be reformatted for a new one
If the card fails, anything stored on it will be lost (cards are more prone to failure than internal memory)

Adopted storage (what you're referring to) was primarily intended for use with devices sold in "emerging markets" with limited internal storage and can be disabled, as has been said, for flagship devices, due to these limitations.

You can use the system file manager to move content to the card and you should also be able to set the camera and some downloads to use it by default.   Some apps can be moved, but you can only find out which by opening each one in Settings to see if the option is available.

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks for the response.

The phone only has 16Gb of internal storage, it's just been set up, there's very little 'bloatware' and there's now less than 4Gb left!

Unfortunately I can see no way of 'redirecting' downloads to the SD Card and having looked through most apps and none have an option to move them to the SD Card - though if the if the SD Card is setup as adopted storage should you be able to move Apps to it?

I'm now seriously thinking of returning the phone to Vodafone as being not fit for purpose!

View more options
Highlighted

Doh!

When I wrote...

"though if the if the SD Card is setup as adopted storage should you be able to move Apps to it?"

I meant portable, not adopted storage!

View more options
Highlighted

Even tho its showing as a 16gb storage option some of this is taken up by the android firmware and some is gated off for future updates @mmore

Your phones settings should show what's using what. 

This leaves around 12gb which can soon be used up. 

I can only speak for myself but if your experiencing storage issues now then your going to be continually micro managing the phone. 

Id swap it out under the 30 day cooling off period and go for one with either ample internal storage and or one that allows the Sd Card to be used to move certain apps to also. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.1  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted

I agree with @BandOfBrothers.   16gb is pretty much entry level these days and only allows for a modest number of apps.   I'd regard 4gb spare as pretty good, though.   I have an older device I use as a backup and that only has around 1gb free, but works perfectly well.   It would even handle OS updates while it was still getting them.   It has a small SD card for content storage.

Not all apps have a setting for download location, but some (eg Amazon Music) do.   The camera will certainly have an option to save photos to the card and it's worth enabling that.

If you need a large number of apps, a device with more internal storage is essential, but will cost more.   I manage well with 32gb, but 64 and even 128 are not uncommon (though on flagship devices costing £500 and up).

One person's "bloatware" is another's essential app, but the OS and the non-uninstallable Google apps (Drive, Maps etc) take up quite a lot of space.   It's worth seeing if things like Docs, Sheets, etc are installed, as they're normally removable.

TBH, though, if you've still got 4gb left and you use the card for photos and music (you may need to move those latter files to the card manually), you're probably fine.  A device with more storage will be quite a lot more expensive and may be more that you need, at least at this stage.

View more options