Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart Ultra 6 battery

markbarrett33
4: Newbie

Just over a year old and the battery isn't holding charge, which is rubbish to be honest. Seems the battery isn't easily replaceable. Anyone had any experience of changing one?

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @markbarrett33

Try calibrating the battery by taking it down to around 15% and then up to 100%

Check the phones battery monitor to see if anything stands out. 

Also putting the phone in safe mode will deactivate your downloaded apps and leaves the stock ones alone which can then help you rule out a rogue app. 

The phone has a 24 month manufacturing warranty so if it hasn't been dropped or has water damage then any Vodafone High street Store can send it off. 

Attempting to replace a non removable battery can add further damage and dust and will void the remaining warranty. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Yes, get it done under warranty if you can.

I took an aging Sony Z1C to a local (and good) phone repair shop and enquired about having the battery replaced - the advice was that the amount of disruption to the phone from the procedure was so great that they'd have to charge me the cost of buying a new mid-range phone outright.

I decided to soldier on with the aging phone for the moment, then buy one of the phones that still come with a removable battery - they do still exist, but come with a plastic back, rather than metal or glass!

hrym

Estimates of battery life vary and I've seen figures of between 500 and 2000 charge cycles quoted.  Current thinking seems to be that this is full charges and that the number increases pro rata for partial charging.   To prolong life, there are two things you can do.  The first, and most important, is not to let the battery go flat - they don't like it and, in certain circumstances, you can brick the phone.  The other is not to charge to 100% as this can degrade the electrodes.   Keeping between 30 and 90% seems to be the sweet spot, although I don't think any of us actually does that!

Battery life is coming to the fore as people aren't upgrading their phones on an annual/biannual basis.   As technology developed fast, this had a benefit as software made increasing demands on processors and storage, but changes between models are becoming smaller and smaller and OS updates confined to cosmetics and security patches.  As a result, phones last longer and battery life is becoming an issue.   Apple's speed-throttlling has brought this to the forefront (and I can't help wondering whether that might have been deliberate).  Maybe we will see a return to user-replaceable batteries, though this will need to be demand-driven as manufacturers will still be looking for ways to persuade us to buy the latest models (assuming the annual product-line refresh schedule continues).   A user-replaceable battery will mean a move away from super-slim devices, so that's a consideration, too.