Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

TO FAST CHARGE OR NOT

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Hi all 

I've heard a few people on another forum and on here either ask does fast charging a Samsung s7 and now the s8 destroy the overall battery life 

I would presume it would make a little difference but I'm trying to find out if the difference is worth taking note of.

It as stopped me from using it after hearing 

BANDOFBROTHERS opinion although I can not remember exactly what was said but after reading other articles (QUORA for one)

That it does make a difference but you probably won't notice as people tend to upgrade there devices within 2 years.

I found that answer unbelievable coming from an expert,

Maybe in his world they do but in mine I have friends who are using ancient technology.

Would love to hear other peoples opinions on this as I plan to keep my device for a minimum of 2 years 

I have also looked into quite a bit of the overall lifetime of my device assuming there a no faults on my part or with the device.

Ahmm

One Samsung expert said it shouldn't show any great difference for four years but he did recommend having your devices reflashed officially once a year 

I would of thought the s8 to be better optimised than the s7 though for fast charging

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

I'll admit to being sceptical about fast charging myself.   I don't have a device that supports it but, if I did, I'd only use it when absolutely necessary.   It's being promoted at the moment and I suspect it's one of those things that, if one manufacturer has it, they all have to.   It's also being touted as the answer to making electric cars practical, but nothing's free and I suspect that the answer that it shortens overall battery life is correct.

In the case of cars, of course, batteries are frequemtly leased, so any deterioration should be covered by that.   Mobile phone batteries are usually covered by the overall 2 year warranty so, again, you have some cover.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers

It's obviously entirely down to personal preference @SKYMAN513 to fast charge or not. 

I prefer to not although I do also use an official Samsung Desktop charger that has fast charging capabilities with a built in fan to help cool the phone down. 

In my opinion although fast charging is handy I believe it does heat up the phone and battery more than normal charging. That heat dissipates through the phone itself. Thus again in my unscientific opinion reduces the battery capacity over time and may even shorten its life cycle. 

I've read people's opinions that they only keep a phone for a year so there not concerned. My opinion is someone's gonna own that phone after them ! :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I'll admit to being sceptical about fast charging myself.   I don't have a device that supports it but, if I did, I'd only use it when absolutely necessary.   It's being promoted at the moment and I suspect it's one of those things that, if one manufacturer has it, they all have to.   It's also being touted as the answer to making electric cars practical, but nothing's free and I suspect that the answer that it shortens overall battery life is correct.

In the case of cars, of course, batteries are frequemtly leased, so any deterioration should be covered by that.   Mobile phone batteries are usually covered by the overall 2 year warranty so, again, you have some cover.

BandOfBrothers

Totally agree @hrym

Samsung apply a 12 month Warranty on their batteries. 

I hear rumours Apple may add fast charging / wireless charging to the iPhone 8, and they apply a 12 Month warranty on their batteries too. 

I usually top up my phone when I get home from work and if memory serves have used fast charge once on my previous phone the s7 edge. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

Basically, @BandOfBrothers, either fast-charging is OK on current (pun intended :smileyhappy:) batteries or manufacturers are going to get caught out.  12 months isn't much.   I remember Sony trumpeting the fact that their battery warranty was 2 years at a time when some were removable and theirs weren't.

I often use 2-amp tablet chargers on my phone, and they're resonably quick.   I can see that being able to get 50% is about 10 minutes would be handy sometimes, but I also have a portable charger (though it's *****y heavy!)

I don't think charging with more amps is how to fast  charge - I believe the Samsung fast charger increases the voltage rather than the amps to acheive a faster initial charge.  It may be that your phone just doesn't use all 2amps from your tablet charger charger because the phone battery is small and can only take 1 amp at 5 volts. 

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Thats beyond my remit

I only messed with electrics once many years ago 

Inside a valve amp 

And if it wasn't for the rubber in my boots id of fried my self 

Instant 80.'s hair do though

hrym

You may well be right, @Lindonl.   I feel a bit of research coming on.   Certainly, the advice is that it's fine to connect any charger as long as it's the right voltage - the battery/charge circuit will only draw what it needs.   That said, modern chargers come with much heavier leads, which suggests higher amperage, though whether it's 1 or 2 I'm not sure.   My very old Samsung charger was only 500ma.

Fast-charging is certainly a co-operative process between the phone and the charger.

Edited to add: This from Droidlife is interesting, particularly the bit about the rate slowing as the battery fills up.

This from Qualcomm explains Quick Charge 2, but only in terms of watts, not actualy volts & amps.

Wikipedia give a bit more detail and, yes, voltage does increase.

Yes thanks guys,as it's relatively new tech time has to pass for a proper look when the tech guys start talking about it off the record.

It's enough to have stopped me using it for just general charging.

Which as I write may even prevent the charger from actually doing a fast charge if used every day 

And as I have not been using any more the difference in time is not as dramatic as I thought,