Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Temporary sim and ported number both working on my phone

andi29
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I recently changed networks from BT to Vodafone  and  Vodafone sent me a sim  with a number we'll call 123 which I inserted into my phone and  then called them and gave them the PAC code I got from BT to keep my original number (we'll call 777) .

All went through successfully and  my original number(777)  ported - everything was great until today when I text my son and he text back who's this?  Turns out, the text he received was showing that it was coming from the number that was on the sim vodafone sent(123).    

He phoned and text  me by pressing  mum contact and I got both so when people are phoning me using my original number (777) I'm receiving them ok yet when I phone or text out it's showing with the sim card number (123). So oddly it looks as if both numbers are somehow saved on my phone.

I phoned Vfone and they suggested trying my sim card in an old phone - tried , same result.

They then suggested I try it on an Iphone by going to

>Setting

>Phone

>My number

and changing it on there, saving it and putting the sim back into my phone.

Tried that - no luck.

Also tried on the Iphone switching off Imessages and facetime and switching them back on again - made no difference.

Can anyone help please.  I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

A conundrum to say the least @andi29

I understand this has happened with your son but may I ask is it happening with every contact ? If not then it could be something to do with his phone. Ask him to delete your contact and re enter it and to delete any old texts too. 

If it's happening with every contact then It sounds to be the SIM card if the issue is happening in both phones. 

I assume Vodafone have clarified everything is ok on their side with your account.

Ask them if this could be some form of Split Port where not all the porting files have settled properly. 

You could ask Vodafone if a Sim Swap could help which any Vodafone Highstreet Store can do which moves your number and tariff onto a blank SIM card. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers

A conundrum to say the least @andi29

I understand this has happened with your son but may I ask is it happening with every contact ? If not then it could be something to do with his phone. Ask him to delete your contact and re enter it and to delete any old texts too. 

If it's happening with every contact then It sounds to be the SIM card if the issue is happening in both phones. 

I assume Vodafone have clarified everything is ok on their side with your account.

Ask them if this could be some form of Split Port where not all the porting files have settled properly. 

You could ask Vodafone if a Sim Swap could help which any Vodafone Highstreet Store can do which moves your number and tariff onto a blank SIM card. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @andi29

Your SIM card will have the correct number and your port has been completed.

The previous number has probably been synchronised to your gmail account, this needs to be changed.  The call register also needs to be deleted from your phone and your Son's.  The messages are also probably still being sent as part of a conversation, conversations also needs to be deleted to enable the messages to be send as a new message.

When you use an iphone, you also need to delete the previous number from the icloud account.

As soon as this has been done, you should find only the ported number will be displayed.

Hi AnnS

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have never had a gmail account so it's not something I can change but thank you for the suggestion.

I am hesitant to delete the conversations as I would presumably need to do with everyone and as it all worked for over a week on the original number (777) I'm really puzzled why it would just all of a sudden  stop working and revert to the sim number (123) on just outgoing calls and texts.

When I did put my sim card into the Iphone I changed the number and my original number (777) showed up ok on it then when I put the sim card back into my own phone it was back to the sim card number (123) showing up when I called anyone.

Oddly enough when I check 'My Device' on my own phone the number that is showing up is the ported number (777)

Thank you for your suggestions

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@andi29 - I’m sorry to hear what’s happening.

If it’s still the same, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

Hi Gemma

Thank you for replying

Yes nothing's changed - it's so frustrating.

When they phoned back yesterday, she just said we'll look into it and get back to you when it's solved.

I'll message you 

@Gemma

Hi Gemma

I filled in the form and just posted the link to this thread as there weren't enough characters in the box to type it all out.

I look forward to hearing from you

Thank you

@Gemma wrote:

@andi29 - I’m sorry to hear what’s happening.

If it’s still the same, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

@Gemma , I sent off the form and now today I've received an email from Danielle - Social Media

asking me for all the information that was on the form I sent off.

I'm getting really frustrated with this.  Can someone please deal with this please.

Thank you

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I can see we've responded to your latest email @andi29.

Please reply back to this and we'll be able to assist you further with your query.

FINALLY sorted!

What an absolute shambles honestly.

Exactly what BandofBrothers suggested in the first post!

The port had split and they reapplied the PAC code to a new sim.

It's a bad day when someone on a public forum (no offence BandofBrothers) can suggest the correct solution after the first reading of the problem yet it takes Vodafone a further 2 weeks to solve it - quite pathetic really!

I'm totally disgusted with vodafone that it took so long to solve this when I continuously advised trying what BandofBrothers had suggested.

In the end, no less than 6 different people saying they would call me and never did.

It took me phoning almost daily to persist with this.

Also had to phone today as the correct new contract price hadn't been applied to my September bill - the excuse was that there had been a blip with the computer ........ urggghh what a company!

I was also told that I would be refunded for the 2 weeks that the phone number was out of action - had to ask for that again today and the compensation that I was told (on 2 seperate occasions)  I would get for my inconveneince for the whole debacle was also applied today ..... the grand some of  £3.65 !!!!  What an insult.

This has taken me hours and hours  of  my time  in phonecalls and sheer frustration.

I have a suggestion for you vodafone - give Bandof Brothers a job with your technical team ! 

So a HUGE THANK YOU to Bandof Brothers for your help !!!