main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Android

Text Transfer

4: Newbie

Is there a free programme for transferring text messages from my old phone to my new phone, both being Android phones.

View more options
14 REPLIES
16: Advanced member

Hi there

You can use SMS backup + which is a free download from the Play Store.

Alternatvely if your new handset is a Samsung, it will often prompt to transfer text messages as part of the setup process.

PWIAC

View more options

Hi, has SMS backup+ got to be on both phones?

View more options
17: Community Champion

Android now has a built in transfer tool, which you ideally use at first set-up.  Look for it in the main settings menu.  Implementations differ from one manufacturer to another and, if two different ones are involved, you may only get the basic options.   It's worth checking as, if it works fully, you can make your new phone pretty much a clone of your old one.

View more options
16: Advanced member

sidsilver wrote:

Yep. It backs everything to your GMail account. You then restore this backup from Gmail on the new handset

PWIAC

View more options

drey_p wrote:

sidsilver wrote:

Yep. It backs everything to your GMail account. You then restore this backup from Gmail on the new handset

Just done that and it worked like a treat, thanks.

View more options

Is there a free programme for transferring contacts?

View more options
If you are using Gmail then your contacts should be stored there and once you set up your new phone with your Gmail then the contacts will be there.
View more options

If you aren't using Gmail, have a look at the Android transfer tool.   When I used it (admittedly between two HTCs), there were quite a few selectable options.

View more options

Yes I'm using gmail, and I have got all my contacts of the old Android phone to my new phone.

I now need to transfer contacts from a Windows 10 phone to the Android is that going to be difficult.

View more options

I've managed to transfer the Windows phone contacts using gmail so all sorted now.

View more options

Glad to hear you're sorted.  Apart from proprietary cables/apps, one of the easiest ways of transferring contacts between devices, especially if you don't have a sync'd service, is via the Export/Import function.   If you choose vCard as the output format, most contacts apps can read that.

FWIW, when I briefly used a Windows phone, I found that it wouldn't display any of the fields I'd given custom names to in Gmail.

View more options
2: Seeker

As I know, Google account can help us easily transfer text messages from your old phone to your new phone, both being Android phones. 

View more options

Of course, there is. Actually, with Google account or mobile phone transfer tool, we can directly transfer text messages from Android to Android. About the details of Google account, you can search online. And about the mobile phone transfer tool, just do it like this:

1. Download and install program to computer.

2. Start it and link both of Android phone to computer via USB Cables.

3. Preview and choose all text messages you want to transfer between them.

View more options

Of course, you can transfer text messages from Android phone to Android phone.

A SMS backup tool is needed, or MobiKin mobile transfer tool, and then you can back up all the SMS in a easy way.

View more options