cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Transferring photos to laptop: where is "Notification Panel"?

OldGrantonian
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have Smart First 7. When I connect phone to laptop with USB, a new drive is opened on laptop called VFD 200,  The Photos folder is empty, although I have photos on my phone.

User Manual says open the Notifications Panel and tap "Connected As...."

Question:  where is the Notification Panel?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

A Notification Panel is normally opened up with a swipe motion. 

On my s8 its a swipe down from the top @OldGrantonian

Just to add I find using dropbox to move pictures and or use email a good set of options. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks to @BandOfBrothers for the response.

I can't check it out, because my grandson has gone home with his phone. He'll be back in a couple of weeks.

Here are some snippets from my memory. The only "notifications" that I have seen were on the lock screen. These are for messages, gmail, apps, and so on.

I watched the lock screen at the instant I actually connected to laptop. No notification appears.

If I swipe up, this gives the PIN prompt. After entering the PIN, I see the Home screen, which has the white button at the foot to display all the app icons over two pages. If I watch the Home screen at the instant I'm connecting the laptop, I don't see any notification appearing.

Is it possible that I have disabled the notification? I tried to disable as many of these as possible so that my grandson is not snowed under a whole load of stuff that he wouldn't understand anyway 🙂

Thanks.

No I wouldn't have thought you've disabled anything @OldGrantonian

Once you've allowed access to your phone it should either open up options to choose or your computer sees the phone as an external hard drive. With that you can go into the phones files to move things. 

That said I use Android File Transfer between my MacBook Air and Samsung Galaxy s8 but I prefer using dropbox or good old email. 

Other online Vaults such as Google Drive etc is an option too. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks for all suggestions. I'll check these out next time I have access to the phone.

AnnS

Hi @OldGrantonian

I hope you manage to find the notifications when you connect the phone to the PC via the USB.

If you need further help, this can be found from the support pages and user manual on the links below.  

Transfer pictures and video clips from phone to computer

Smart First 7 User Manual

@OldGrantonian wrote:

Thanks for all suggestions. I'll check these out next time I have access to the phone.

No problems mate. 

I'm sure you'll work it all out via trial and error.

I think you've got the general gist from reading your first post you've already used help pages :Winking_smiley:

Please let us know how you get on.  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

hrym

I haven't used a USB connection for file transfers for a long time, but I do get a notification when I use the USB port in my car for charging (in that case, I just choose "charge only" but, if you opt otherwise, there's a list available).

The easiest way to transfer photos is to use a cloud service (it backs them up as well :Winking_smiley:), such as Dropbox or Google Photos.   Those can be set to sync automatically (but choose the wifi only option to save on mobile data).   You'll need to install the app on the phone and the corresponding program on the computer and you're away - it all happens by itself.

Google Photos has a compression option that reduces the resolution very slightly, but items then don't count against your usage allowance, so you never need to do any housekeeping.

AnnS

Hi @OldGrantonian

The notification panel will pop up on your phone when you connect the USB from the phone to the PC.  The phone will ask for permission to access the phone files and after clicking OK, you need to select Device File Manager (MTP).  A box will then come up on your PC where you can choose to import your photos to the P.C.