main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Transferring videos from internal storage of Vodaphone Smart Ultra 6 to laptop

Wayover
2: Seeker

Hi,

I am having the a major problem transferring videos from internal storage of Vodaphone Smart Ultra 6 to laptop.

I can see and transfer items I have saved to SD card.

But also I can't seem to transfer them from internal storage items to the SD card.

When I try to search the files on my phone (usb cable to phone - checked cable it is fine)  using Windows Explorer the DCIM folder on my phone says it is empty yet when I look directly at my phone's internal storage there  are photos and videos in the DCIM folder.

I have popped into my local vodaphone store they say they have no way of connecting my phone to a computer to see what the problem is AND although I bought my phone at that very store they say they can't help because I don't use Vodaphone as my servcie provider. My service provider says they can't help because it's a Vodaphone phone and I didn't buy it through them.

So I either nedd to know how I can:

1. See and transfer items from my internal syorage DCIM folder or

2. Transfer items on my internal storage to my SD card.

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
hrym
17: Community Champion

I think the most likely explanation is that this is down to Android security.  This controls what can write to the sd card.   I'm slightly surprised Windows Explorer can't even see the files, but I haven't used a cable connection for several years (before the added security).  You have a number of options:

1. Copy the files to internal storage using the Android file manager, then to the PC from there.
2. Put the sd card in a card reader connected to the PC.   You'll also need a micro to full size card adaptor.
3. Use a 3rd party file manager app such as File Manager or ES File Manager on the phone.   These can connect to a shared folder on the PC via your wifi network and you can copy wirelessly.  This is how I do it.

View more options
Jefferymoore
View more options
Wayover

Thanks for this suggestion.

The problem is that even though my internal storage is almost full with photos the DCIM folder and every other possible folder shows as being empty when I look via Windows Explorer.

I can 'see'  and transfer whats app photos and photos which I have taken and stored to my SD card.

I need to find a way of transferring my internal storage to my SD card and then I would be able to transfer photos in the way you have directed me to.

Thanks once again.

View more options
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

@Wayover Is there an option avaliable to you thats in Settings > Storage > Default write disk?

This should allow you to choose either internal storage or your SD card to save your pictures and videos to. Would this help you to transfer your data?

View more options
hrym

To copy files to your sd card, use the file manager app that comes with the phone (3rd party ones won't work due to Android security).   I do it all the time.   NB: It's best to copy and only delete the original once you've verified that the process is complete.   There is a Move option but, if the Copy action fails for some reason, the Delete stage can still operate.

You should also be able to set the camera default storage to the card rather than internal memory.

View more options
Wayover

Great I can 'see' them but can't work out how to copy them. I select and waht looks like a copy symbol appears at the bottom. I touch that and it then takes me to a list of folders - none of which are my SD card. Sorry if this is me being stupid.

View more options
hrym

File managers usually have separate tabs for internal storage and the sd card.   You select on the source, as you have, then move over to the sd tab (you may be able to slide sideways) and paste.   You may need to create a suitable folder first.

View more options