Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to charge after updat

samuraidave
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi all.
I think that I have solved my issue so will detail it here as it may help others.

I have had my s4 since Jan 14 and think it is great. Anyhow an update speared last weekend but I was away and in a weak signal area so did when I was back home on Tuesday. It updated fine, was a bit confused as others have been by the location tab instead of gps but hey Ho.
The problem began with the phone not wanting to charge. Now this was a bit frustrating as with less than 15 percent battery left and needing my phone for work I needed a solution.
I removed the battery, left it for a while then put it back in but nothing. Anyway eventually it started charging but very slowly. I was concerned that the little use charging point was malfunctioning. The next day it had only 50 percent charge and was now telling me that there was a us cable being connected and Diss connected continually.
Backed up all my information and did a factory reset and all spears to be fine.
So before you send your phone off for repair try a reset.
I will keep you updated if anything changes.
Keep up the good work

Dave
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

A lot of your data will be backed up to your Gmail account.  Your contacts should be there to.  Once you have wiped your phone and signed into your Gmail again, it should start reinstalling everything from apps to contacts.  However, it doesn't always restore things like folders, widgets etc.  You may end up doing those manually.

If you want to back up your text messages, you can do so by using a 3rd part app such as SMSBackup+ which will allow you to save them to your Gmail account. 

PWIAC

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

drey_p

Hi there

I personally do a factory reset after every single update - it sorts out most of the issues that can occur.

As for your battery - I wouldn't recommend running the battery as low as you have done as this can cause permanent damage to the battery in the long term.  With modern batteries, it is better to charge it more regularly than to run it down completely.  Try not to let the battery drop below 20%.  

PWIAC

shaunc
3: Seeker
Is there an easy way to back up all information? I don't really want to start from scratch again with widgets, folders, etc. Or does that get saved with my Google profile?

drey_p

A lot of your data will be backed up to your Gmail account.  Your contacts should be there to.  Once you have wiped your phone and signed into your Gmail again, it should start reinstalling everything from apps to contacts.  However, it doesn't always restore things like folders, widgets etc.  You may end up doing those manually.

If you want to back up your text messages, you can do so by using a 3rd part app such as SMSBackup+ which will allow you to save them to your Gmail account. 

PWIAC

shaunc
Thanks.. I was dreading this would be the case. I've done various iterations of Cyanogen on my previous phone so was hoping I wouldn't have to go through all that pain of restoring things (eg down to font settings on Handcent).

I'll live with my temporary solution to this problem by unplugging the charger and then plugging it back in whilst monitoring the current with an in line device.

63johnw
17: Community Champion
I have nova launcher on my phone which lets you back up and restore your screens/widgets to how they were.

jeffkinn

I use Nova and it's excellent. I've uploaded the backup file to my Google drive so I know it's safe and easily accessible whenever I need it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

And here I was thinking it was just me, was just about to send it off to be fixed. I noticed after the last update my phone if switched off won't charge it does this weird vibrating buzzing noise after every 5 seconds . If i switch it on it will then charge but the battery icon is greyed out.

Is there any other way round this rather then having to factory reset again? Drove me slightly nuts having to do this at the last update?