Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to connect to BT WIFI using My Vodafone app

simontw
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

Wonder if anyone could help.  I have upgraded my phone (Sensation) to ICS, but since doing so I have been unable to connect to BT wifi.  Worked perfectly on Gingerbread.  When I go into the settings, it appears to be connecting (i.e. obtaining IP address etc), but there is no data transfer,  Before I upgraded, I used to get a small message to say 'Connected to BTOpenzone'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Simon

25 REPLIES 25

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Blinkie,

Apologies that this one slipped through the net.

The Bt Openzone Wi-Fi does work, and any users are able to connect without issue. We're happy to look into why you are unable to.

What exactly is happening when you try to connect? Can you talk us through each screen you see so we can get a better idea to help with resolving this?

Also, can you enter your My Account login here for me? This particular login is designed to manually complete activation of the Wi-Fi allowance so, if this has not completed for any reason, it’s best just to check this.

Finally for now, can you advise if this is happening in one location or many? If one, can you confirm the postcode for me? 

Dave

I have a Google Nexus 4 and have the Vodafone app installed. I also have BT wifi as part of the monthly plan. Whenever I try to access BT wifi when I'm out all it. Does is direct me to the BT page where it asks me to login? I. Try using my Vodafone login details but to. No avail.

I have both the Enable BT Wifi access and Auto connect boxes checked. I am fast becoming convinced that connection is impossible and this is just a ruse by Vodafone!

My. Phone has no other difficulty in connecting to both open or secure wifi networks.

Any suggestions?

Hi leehopcroft,

If you use the My Vodafone App, does it show up the hotspot as an available BT Openzone Hotspot?

If you sect the hotspot through the app, does it try to connect automatically?

What happens when you’re in range and have the app open?

Also if you log into your online account, under services, do you have BT WIFI showing?

James

Hello James,

In the Vodafone app, under Plan, it says;

300 UK minutes

500 UK texts

Unlimited UK web

BT Wi-Fi

Whenever I'm in range of a BT Hotspot my phone connects but then the page changes to the BT Openzone login page. I've tried logging in with my Vodafone login details but to no avail.

I'm starting to seriously think free BT Wi-Fi is a bit of a scam!

How should I connect to a BT Wi-Fi hotspot when in range?

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi leehopcroft,

Thanks for confirming. I can assure you this isn't a ruse as we have hundreds of thousands of customers using this service daily. If it didn't work for anyone, this thread would be a little busier. :Winking_smiley:

To confirm, are you choosing Vodafone specific hotspots? Some of the locations for BT OpenZone are private connections or premium connections open to their customers only. Are the ones you're trying to connect to listed on the map in the My Vodafone app

Cheers, Ben

leehopcroft
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Thanks Ben

I'll try again when I'm next in range of A hotspot.

I have the same problem, I am using a motorolla razr i.

I have got it work once or twice, most of the time no.

I am not using the My Vodafone app, I just connect to wifi, and use the vodafone login when prompted, and it then tells me my username and password is incorrect. (I use the same username and password that logon to the vodaphone account site).

It really annoying bit of scam really!

Any ideas what could be wrong? I tried yesterday at London Bridge, it prompted me for vodafone password, so assume that means I am connecting to the right type of hotspot?

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there surfer_X,

Thanks for your post.

Is the hotspot you're trying to connect to indicated when your use the app?

For more information on WiFi click here.

If you're trying to connect to these and it's failing we'll need to take a closer look.

Cheers,

LeeH

Yes,

Last time I tried it was corner of park st and stoney st SE1.

It took me to the vodafone logon screen, (that should mean I am using the correct type of hotspot? Yes/No?)

But it just comes back and says my userid and password does not work...

I am not using the vodafone app, I should not have to according your webpages?

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi surfer_X,

OK.

Please click here to send us your details and we'll take a look.

Cheers,

LeeH