Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Uninstalling Vodafone Start

JohnFol2012
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Morning all I have a work issued mobile phone that comes with Android 7 (not sure what name that relates to).

It has come with some pre-installed applications that I do not want, are intrusive or present a security risk. One such application is the Vodafone Start application. From what i can tell it's sole purpose is to deliver adverts to my handset at the cost of using resources and download limitts. I know there is the standard Vodafone answer of "No, you can’t uninstall Vodafone Start. It’s a hub for all the apps and services provided by Vodafone. You can hide it, but you can’t delete it."

However I do not want any apps or services (or adverts) from Vodafone. I've disabled it and there is no loss of functionality so it's optional. Surely this is my device and I should have the right to install, uninstall whatever I choose?

So, how do I get rid of this application once and for all?

20 REPLIES 20

hooker1uk
14: Advanced member

Go into settings and the apps section. 

Find start and roll back and updates. 

Then disable. It'll ask if you want to uninstall at that point usually. 

If it doesn't use the disable option to stop it running. 

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

hooker1uk

Also anyone on SIM only should not be forced to load it the only time this happens is when it's on the device already. Yes we did have issues with my 191 in the past but that was on all vf branded devices. 

Also be weary removing it with root tools I've seen removal cause boot loop on vf firmwares as the CRC value changes due to modification. And in doing so risk warranty

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

I can Force Stop but the option to disable is greyed out hence why I want it uninstalled.

The issue still remains. Start is used for intrusive direct marketing and I'm sure there is a legal requirement to opt out. 

For example, this is the latest...

20190907_182945.png

This is an unsolicited advert. Vodafone, where is the opt out / unsubscribe?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @JohnFol2012 👋 You can find more information how to remove any of our apps on our support pages.

Thanks for the response however the link has the following statement

"However, if you’ve got an Android phone, you can only hide the Vodafone Start app. You can’t uninstall and remove it because you need it to access all of your Vodafone apps and services"

My point is I do NOT want the vodafone apps and services. It's also clear from the screen shot Vodafone are using it for direct advertising, again something I do not want. Just look at the ICO rules and you'll see phrases such as

"You must use an ‘affirmative’ method of getting consent." and "You must make it easy for people to withdraw consent, and tell them how."

So Vodafone, having never given consent, HOW to I withdraw it....?

The text is not even true. 

Start is not required to be installed 

I do not have it on one of our Android phones and the lack of it causes no problems. 

Exactly, and I repeatedly disable it with no ill effect. 

It's an advertising tool and that's it.

I think you'll find that by taking out a contract that includes a Vodafone branded (and subsidised) handset you have given your consent for this app to provide markesting info; check the contract.

In the original post you mentioned that you were on Android 7 - however that was almost 2 years ago - has your software updated to Android 8 or even 9?

I have Start on my Huawei P20 which has Android 8 and now 9 and I simply turned off all notifcations for this app via Settings >>> Apps and it's like not having it at all.

Having the app there is not a security issue nor a resource issue, it's very small, but that should solve your notifications issue.

As has been pointed out in other posts the only way to avoid having these apps i the first place is but an unbranded, and unsubsidised, handset from the manufacturer.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

Let's assume the contract does say something about preinstalled apps. The law says something about being able to opt out.....