Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unsuccessful Skype download

Susan38
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I went into Googleplay and installed Skype (the first option with the standard logo), it says on my My Apps page that it is installed (the word installed is in a green cartouche).  I have restarted my phone, switched it off and on again, and it still hasn't appeared there - what could have gone wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

That notification does sound like the original attempt glitched then. 

Some phones can seem to be overloaded with things I agree. 

Personally I want as little out of the box as possible, and then add as I go. 

As I buy from Samsung directly I do not have any network apps aka bloatware which helps keep my phones as clear as possible. 

To add some balance to my statement for some network apps etc are essential to their own daily usage. 

Good luck with downloading Skype. 

If you get stuck I'm sure a Vodafone High street Store can help. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Susan38

If your having issues locating the app Then is there an option on your make of phone (which phone are you using may I ask )  to search for apps. 

It may need further permissions / installing for it to appear. 

When I installed Skype on my Samsung Galaxy s8 phone the app icon appeared in my app shade which I moved into a folder. 

You could try deleting it from your phone along with any cache and data and then go into your Play Store under myapps and delete it from there too.

Then download a fresh install.  

This is how it should appear on a phone. Screenshot_20180804-053947_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

Current Phone  >

It's a Vodafone Smart somethingorother VFD200.  In trying to look for it again I came across a notification bit (which I hadn't noticed before) saying to try again.  It might be helpful if they didn't clutter the device with so much!  I expect there must be a good reason why they don't simply provide the basic essentials and then let people add apps as and when they need them.

BandOfBrothers

That notification does sound like the original attempt glitched then. 

Some phones can seem to be overloaded with things I agree. 

Personally I want as little out of the box as possible, and then add as I go. 

As I buy from Samsung directly I do not have any network apps aka bloatware which helps keep my phones as clear as possible. 

To add some balance to my statement for some network apps etc are essential to their own daily usage. 

Good luck with downloading Skype. 

If you get stuck I'm sure a Vodafone High street Store can help. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @Susan38

If you have a Vodafone Smart First 7, it will be limited space, the phone only comes with 4GB space and 512 memory which is small for any Smartphone.  The phone will also take up a large amount of that space for the Android OS and come with preloaded apps which cannot be moved to an SD card and with Android updates, the space will decrease.

You can find the phone specifications here: GSMarena Vodafone Smart First 7 Specifications

If you have an SD card, this would enable you to move any music, photos and media files and increase the amount of available space on the phone, also see if there are any messages and call lists which can be deleted.  If you go to about phone, storage, this will give an indication of the amount of free space on the phone.  If there are any Apps which you do not need or are likely to use, try and delete these to free up further storage space, you may well find the Skype App will then show in your icons.

If you have received a message from the Play Store that the App is installed there is no reason to doubt otherwise the most likely reason will be the amount of free space and phone memory to enable the App to successfully instal.

Where a Smartphone is concerned in order to use the apps available from the Play Store, you need to choose a phone with at least 16MB of space, even this is cutting it fine for a Smartphone.

Unfortunately, this is a nice little phone and fine for general use where calls and texts are concerned but not where you would like to instal further Apps from the Play Store and use the full potential of having a Smartphone.

Is that why, when I search for something on Google with it, the results show but then I can't bring up the result page I want?

BandOfBrothers

Go into your phones storage settings to see how much Gb or mb of space you have please @Susan38

Skype takes up around 32mb. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @Susan38

You should be able to view and read the results page of a Google search, but the phone is probably struggling and slow due to the limited memory and space available.  

The limited capacity of the phone could well be the cause of your problems. 

Well that was interesting.  It shows that total space is 4gb and  that cached data is using 37.40mb, apps 1.35gb,  android 1.93gb, leaving 471mb available.

I've deleted a few  photos and messages and already there's 490mb available now.

BandOfBrothers

@Susan38 wrote:

Well that was interesting.  It shows that total space is 4gb and  that cached data is using 37.40mb, apps 1.35gb,  android 1.93gb, leaving 471mb available.

Albeit that's not oodles of available user space it's enough to download Skype. 

Be aware apps do however collate cache and data. 

You can clean these as often as you wish. 

Current Phone  >