cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Update received to Bixby to disable dedicated button.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi Guys,

Just an update for Samsung Galaxy s8, s8+ and Note 8 owners who have the dedicated Bixby Button. 

I've just received an update to my Bixby feature that now allows a person to disable the Bixby dedicated button within the settings. 

For some the dedicated button caused inconvenience.

Now hopefully maybe Samsung may take the next logic step which is to remap the button to what the owner may find more useful. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

7 REPLIES 7

DRUIDDOODE
13: Advanced Member

Hi   BANDOFBROTHERS nice to hear they have given what most Samsung users wanted,personally I would of thought the remapping of the button should of came with your update  but I can't comment too much as I haven't used it myself 

Although I must had Samsung do have a bad habit of too many chefs in the kitchen. (Im holding back on the s9 rumours)

I admire company's that bring brilliant tech but not an the expense of customer service which I used to hear all good things,but recently they are letting themselves down 

So am I right by saying only have the choice of Bixby for that button?

Hopefully your right as that button surely could open a whole world of options 

Just checked and there are a handful of "Bixby Button Remappers" on the Play Store. Most of them rely on killing Bixby as it opens or blocking the app entirely (which I didn't like the sound of!)

I would imagine one or more of the app developers will spot the option to make the Bixby key a "dead button" and simplify their code... well worth keeping an eye on :Smiling:

edit: BTW, the obvious toggle switch on the Bixby Home Page only disables the short press, you have to delve into the dot dot dot, Settings then Bixby key to disable it completely (i.e. including the long press for voice commands.)

I think Samsung   should allow you guys to use that button to your own setup like taking straight to your playlist on Spotify or a destination on maps there are loads of possible uses. as it sounds from reading threads that a lot of  users prefer using Google assistant. I can imagine them remappers apps have hidden agendas.

I think it would of been more popular if when it was released on the S8 fully working it wouldn't of had to compete with google and others 

I've been using my S8 for almost a week now and it would be great if Samsung did allow us to remap the bixby key to another app etc, but that will never happen when they are trying to push Bixby.

I have tried one remap app but it wasn't that great, need to spend more time at other options as would love to change bixby key to flashlight.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra.

BandOfBrothers

There was a good remap solution not too long ago but Samsung threw their teddy out of the cot and killed it with an update. 

They are obviously listening to feedback as they’ve allowed the kill switch in that recent update. 

Heck i’d be happy if they even allowed only strict control as to only allow from a list of their choosing !

Right now Google Assistant does what I need.   😀

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi guys I think your right in your previous post that it could be the next logical step to allow users to use Bixby button for either a preset list or a way to choose your own 

But I must admit letting users to choose there own choice via an app could bring the sort of apps that have a pop up each time you use it

maybe a small one off charge to prevent the pop up way 

It does seem more complicated than I first thought 

I think that's why samsung should either give some presets as I think leaving it open to owners own choice could be exploited unless Samsung find a secure way of doing it 

Apart from the NOTE 7 fail I think releasing the S8 with Bixby either half working or not at all spoiled the chance of what could of been one of there best features

I have the 7 edge with S voice and haven't even activated it as I know I wouldn't use it and on my previous device S5 I failed to catch my attention so I thought I'd be better off leaving it disabled 

They have a lot of catching up to do as Google assistant keeps evolving 

I tried BxActions which offers two methods, one that doesn't require much set up and another which uses adb so is more stable. I've only tried the first method and found it pretty hit and miss so will try the adb method soon.

However if Samsung offered a list of preset ones that would be far better, although knowing Samsung it would be Samsung only apps -_-

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra.