Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart N8 - BBC Apps

borusa
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there

Recently, my Vodafone Smart N8 has refused to run BBC Apps - iPlayer Radio crashes on loading (immediately after it opens), and BBC Sounds displays an error message ("there was a problem during loading").

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be/how to fix it? I've already uninstalled and reinstalled both apps, cleared the data and cache for both, and wiped the cache partition for the phone.

Thanks for your help

14 REPLIES 14

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Are there any updates or newer versions of the app in the Playstore @borusa 

What you've done thus far to troubleshoot is pretty much what I would have suggested.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Not that I can see - it looks like I'm running (or trying to run) the latest version. Interestingly, Soundcloud also crashes

This is all following a factory reset (in case that's any help) - I was able to run these before.

System is up to date as well.

Thanks for your help

BandOfBrothers

A factory reset takes the phone back to the last successful software update @borusa 

Perhaps take a look at your apps preference settings to see if they need tweaking. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @borusa 

When you use BBC media player, you need to log in with your email address and password.  When you factory reset the phone it would have cleared these details.

Try deleting the app from the Play Store and downloading a fresh copy to your phone.

Hi @AnnS  - unfortunately I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and I get the same issue - BBC Sounds doesn't even let me as far as any login details

@BandofBrothers I've update the system since and it's running 7.0, showing as up to date. I think iPlayer radio only requires a minimum of 4.0 anyway. I'll try playing with preferences and see if that helps

Thanks again for your help

No joy unfortunately - I've reset preferences and fiddled about with them but to no effect. I'll carry on googling!

BandOfBrothers

Just a thought @borusa  but if you have a local Vodafone Highstreet Store the team there might be able to help as they'll have hands on then

Current Phone  >

hrym

Problems like this are normally a resource issue, but the fact that this happens after a reset, and that you were able to run the apps before is odd, to say the least.   I'm not sure how much RAM this device has, but I'm finding that devices with 1gb can struggle with some apps (although the BBC ones seem fine).  It sounds as though you've cleaned the memory OK, but it might also be worth clearing recent apps - I find this solves a lot of problems.  Also make sure the device has at least 1gb of clear storage so that it has plenty of space for cache files etc.

I'm not confident this will fix the issue and it probably duplicates a lot of what you've done, but it's worth a try.

Thanks - the device itself has 1.4GB RAM, of which around 1GB seems to be used by the OS and the system (which seems quite heavy to me). Is that normal usage for Android 7, and is there any way of getting that down?

Thank you for your help