Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 - Proximity Sensor Problem

Craigmill
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I just purchase a Vodafone SU6. I also purchase a nice flip cover and downloaded Easy Smart Cover to allow the screen to switch on when I opened the cover using the proximity sensor.

No problems, open the case screen lights up, perfect!

I then fitted a screen protector and the smart cover no longer works. I used a paper punch to cut a hole in a new screen protector where the proximity sensor is located and fitted it and everything works as it should.

So, I have a problem where the proximity sensor does not work when a screen protector that covers the proximity sensor is fitted.

Does any body else have this problem? If you have a screen protector fitted with no proximity sensor problem please advise where you bought the screen protector from?

Many thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

hrym
17: Community Champion

I had a similar issue with a Samsung Galaxy S2 after I'd put a screen protector on it.   I no longer use them.  Screens are pretty robust and, if you have a cover, it's protected when it's most vulnerable: when it's not in use.  You will occasionally want to clean the screen, but taking care, using a soft cloth and making sure there's no grit around should be sufficient.

BandOfBrothers

Hi

I use one and mine is a tempered glass screen protector. I use an iPhone 6 Plus. 

It has the cut out so its does not interfere. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Many thanks for your replies and I appreciate that different phones may give differening results but I am trying to determine whether or not my new SU6 is faulty, and would really appreciate input from SU6 owners.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome and I wish you well with your quest. 

My opinion for what it's worth is that the phone isn't faulty as it works as it should without the interference of a screen shield. 

Take care. 

Current Phone  >

hrym

I'll second what bandofbrothers said.  I don't think it's a faulty device either if it works without the screen protector.   My 10 penn'orth is to ditch the protector.  I think you said you have a case and that'll protect the screen when it's necessary.

Again many thanks for your replies.

I just dont undrerstand why a phone manufacturer would design a phone where one of its functions will not work when a screen protector is fitted!

I tried calling the Vodafone support number but that just gets me into a whole load of account type questions about connection services and nothing to do with phone hardware support

Is there a phone number for Vodaphone hardware support of its own phones?

BandOfBrothers

Hi

No the only number to ring is 191. 

I really don't think you'll be given much further information however. 

These shields / accessories are made by 3rd party companies and are an addition to the phone specs. Most shields which are plastic or tempered glass I've seen have the cut out for the sensor to stop any interference. 

Current Phone  >

hrym

As I said, I had exactly the same problem with a Samsung Galaxy S2 and haven't used a screen protector since.   It's not so much a fault in the design of the phone as a function of having a screen protector and that interferes with the sensor.  A different screen protector might not have the same effect, but, as I also said, I wouldn't bother,