main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 - no ringtone

superbikerider6
4: Newbie

Hi, i have a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 and the ringtone keeps going silent. The other notifications are fine and the ringtone is all set to be on and loud but the phone just vibrates and doesnt ring. If i restart the phone its fine again but then it will happen again after a while and it always happens when i put it to silent ringtone, then put the ringtone to loud again - the next call i get will be a silent ringtone again!

I have uninstalled any app's i have on thinking it maybe that but it doesnt stop it happening - it must be a software thing as it rights itself again when its rebooted.

Any advice?

View more options
138 REPLIES 138
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @superbikerider6

Is this issue both with the pre installed ringtones or ones you have self downloaded?

If you have been through the settings and nothing seems to be hindering this and nothing is apparent in the User Manual then I would suggest that you visit a Vodafone Store and they'll look at it for you and if necessary send it off to be looked at. I assume it has not been dropped or has had any water that may have got into it. 

If it's under 14 days old they'll swap it for a new one. 

If it's between 15 and 30 days they'll want to send it off to be checked before swapping for a new one. 

If it's iver 30 days it'll be a repair. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View more options
superbikerider6

thanks for the reply

the ringtone is downloaded from Zedge - could that be the issue? My notifcations are also downloaded but they always work ok

its not damaged at all - no drops or water ingress

View more options
BandOfBrothers

Can you try using a pre installed ringtone to see if the problems still exists or not please. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

View more options
MPW1

My wife and I both have this phone and have been pleased with it up until now (3 months since acquired). Unfortunately, just before Christmas exactly the same thing has started to happen with both our phones. i.e the ringtone is silent, but all other sounds work. I've missed several calls as a result. As you say, if you re-boot it the ringtone comes back for a short time, but then goes again and I can't see what action is being taken that might cause this. Very frustrating. I have tried both embedded and external ringtones - same result. The problem seems to have started very soon after the phone received a large software upgrade from Vodafone in mid December and I suspect this might be the cause. Could anyone from Vodafone help please? This is too much of a coincidence for this just to bge an issue with our 2 phones.

View more options
superbikerider6
Update - reverted my ringtone back to a standard preinstalled one - was OK for a day but now again today my ringtone is silent even though its fully turned up. I am obviously not the only one and there is a bug in this software - what can you do to help?
View more options
BandOfBrothers

@superbikerider6 wrote:
Update - reverted my ringtone back to a standard preinstalled one - was OK for a day but now again today my ringtone is silent even though its fully turned up. I am obviously not the only one and there is a bug in this software - what can you do to help?

You'll need to have the phone looked at via Vodafones Service Centres.  Either use Live Chat or Customer service on 191 to ask for a returns bag or alternatively pop into your Local Vodafone store and they'll send it off for you. 

People on eligable tariffs can ask if a loan phone is available. 

Take time/date stamped pictures of the phone to have proof of its condition of how you sent it off. Take one of the phone turned on and working. It's just a precautionary.  

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

View more options
Jenny

@MPW1 and @superbikerider6 - It sounds like this may have occured following the software update.

Please try backing up your phone and performing a factory reset, as this often resolves issues that occur following a software update.

If you still have problems after trying this, you can send your phone for repair where our engineers can look into it further. 

View more options
superbikerider6

I'll try the reset - does seem like a lot of hassle though when its obviously a software problem 

Sending it off for repair when its software is pointless - an engineer is going to take it all apart for no reason and it still wouldnt work as its a software issue! Whats the point of that!?

It costs me, costs Vodafone and puts the phone at risk of damage in repair. Why is it the bigger the Company the less common sense and efficient it becomes. 

Instead of just blagging an answer to make us go away - why dont you actually look into the software problem and fix it? 

What you are saying is like telling someone whoes car has run out of petrol to get the mechanic to look over the engine to see why it won't start!!!!!

View more options
superbikerider6
Come on Vodafone - this bug in the software needs addressing please. No point sending a phone back for a software issue
View more options
Ashdok
1: Seeker
I'm having exactly the same problem. Very frustrating missing business calls........ Needs fixing
View more options
superbikerider6
No response!? Great service eh.
View more options
superbikerider6
As there has been no help on this on here I thought I would try and find a work around without having to reset etc. I think I've found a solution so thought it would be useful for others looking for help.

If you go on the Play store and search for Audiomanager - its a free app to control the sounds on the phone. Download and install it, then reboot your phone. In the settings enable the icon in the toolbar so you can access the control panel quickly. When you want to silent your phone or lower sounds etc, use the Audiomanager app, NOT the stock system settings on the phone.

I've done this, put my phone to silent and then back to high volume ringtone using the app and it works great from what I can tell - no more silent ringtone when its fully maxed! Basically cuts out the glitch on the stock sound settings.

Hope that helps someone - shame Vodafone are completely useless and unresponsive about helping - bad show when they got it so right with the phone in the first place.
View more options
superbikerider6

ok - maybe not a total fix, my phone went silent again today when i hadnt even turned it silent and back up again!

anyone else having any joy?

View more options
StockportGerbil
3: Seeker

Hi!

I've been having this problem. In my case it seems to be related to the use of bluetooth (which I use to listen to music / podcasts in the car.)

There has been some discussion on the Modaco forum and it's believed to be a bug introduced in version 5.1.1 of the firmware. 

Are there any plans either to fix the bug or release a newer version of the Android without the bug?

Thanks

Kevin 

View more options
RobFJ

Had this problem - and also sometimes not hearing the person on the other end when they answered. (Had to hit the loudspeaker option to get over that.)

I did a factory reset on the phone and, so far, it seems to have worked

View more options
rossy77
2: Seeker

Same problem for me as well   Seems to have happened since the 5.1.1 update

View more options
StockportGerbil

Before I bite the bullet and do the factory reset - has anyone else on version 5.1.1 and using bluetooth found that this cleared the problem?

Thanks

Kevin

View more options
rossy77

>>anyone else on version 5.1.1 and using bluetooth found that this cleared the problem

Yes, me.  Will know soon as reset device about 30 mins ago....

View more options
rossy77

Reset seems to have fixed it.  Been connected to bluetooth 3 times now and ringtone still working.

View more options