Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone V8 firmware update

ch_1969
1: Seeker

My Vodafone V8 phone went through a firmware update two weeks ago. According to the settings the build number is now VFD-710_MRB03, Since this has happened the battery usage has increased dramtaically. Last night for example when I last used it was approximately at 60%, when I started to use it this morning it is now at 20%. How can approximately 40% be used while I  was not using the phone. This is not a one off I have seen this regular. Before the firmware update battery consumption was not a problem. If I left the phone on overnight it would be at 60% and when I use it again it again the next morning it would be at 58% or 59%.

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

One or more of your Apps may not be fully optimised yet for the newly updated firmware @ch_1969

It might be beneficial to check in your play Store to see if any updates are ready. 

It can sometimes take a short while for a phone to settle down but I wouldn't say that would take 2 weeks. 

Even when your not personally using the phone it'll be workingin the background using battery and signal strength can play a part. 

Apps can be tweaked to curb usage in the background too in most phones. 

Location based apps like weather will use battery as well as apps such as Facebook for updating in the background. 

Also putting the phone in safe mode which turns off all your downloaded apps and leaves the stock ones alone which can help to determine if an app is causing this situation.

If it stops in safe mode then first try clearing your Apps cache and cookies. 

And or delete your most recent apps first. 

To add it's a known remedy to resolve a phone glitching after a update to Factory Reset however be sure to create back ups as this process will delete your saved data. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

This has also happened to mine and my wife's phone which were purchased together and have just been updated within days of each other. Suggestions of putting phone into power saver mode overnight, managing apps, ect, are all very much appreciated, as is the fact people take the time to respond to issues and suggest solutions, but in this case the suggestions are unacceptable. The phone's battery life was fine before the update, now it's not. We shouldn't have to change the way we use our phones just because this update has compromised the device . If it's not an intentional enforced obselesance exercise, then it should be raised as an issue and fixed. 

A much greater issue that also appeared after the update is the now non functioning recent apps button (the square one at the bottom). There is now no way to switch between apps other that returning to the home screen and losing anything you were working on in the previous app. Also I'm now at a loss as to how you close an app as only the recent apps page had the X symbol to close it. Now I have to open settings-apps-force close. This needs a solution. Why is the square button now disabled?

hrym

I suspect that something's got corrupted in the update process.  There are some things you can do, but the first one is to clear recent apps (:Sad_face:).  You could try clearing the cache (Settings|Storage|Device - tap on cache and it should clear).   If that doesn't work, then a factory reset is probably the answer.   It's never my first port of call, but I can't think of anything else in this instance.   Don't forget to back up you content first, and also remove the sd card if you have one as the process sometimes formats them.   A reset would be part of any repair process, so you won't lose anything by giving it a go yourself.