Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Wallet Issues

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

I have recently changed my phone to the Vodafone Smart V8 and am having diffculties setting up the Wallet app.

I have downlaoded the app and was asked to switch to mobile data from wifi to allow the set up on the SIM. It said it would take up to 15 mins to do this, but three days later I am still getting the same message on the screen when trying to open the app.

It worked perfectly on my old Note 4 and it's annoying that it won't work now. It's not the same SIM  as I had to change to a micro to nano SIM so I suppose it coudl be an error with the SIM but everything else works ok and Android Pay, which was on the phone by default is set up fine.

Any ideas?

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SUCCESS!!

More out of hope than expectation I popped into a VF store as I was passing, they checked the phone and, guess what? The new SIM card I was given last week wasn't an NFC SIM!!!

They have done a SIM swap and now it's all working fine.

The reason I did not suspect this is

a) when i got a new NFC enabled phone last week and needed a new nano SIM I assumed that the SIM would automatically be an NFC SIM - how wrong I was.

b) the instructions for setting up wallet says "if your SIM isn't NFC enabled the app will tell you and show you how to order a new one". It didn't do that.

so I assumed it was a NFC SIM.

At least it's all set up now, that's the main thing. The answer is, don't assume that a brand new SIM is an NFC one, check that your SIM card has a )))) symbol on it. If it doesn't it's not an NFC one.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

View solution in original position

28 REPLIES 28

hrym
17: Community Champion

It's a long time since I switched the device I'm using Wallet on, but it typically use to take 24-48 hours to register the transfer.   I'm not absolutely sure, but it looks as though it has to de-register the old one before it'll let you set it up on the new one.   Are you getting an error message (it used to be C & a 4-figure number)?  At that time, I was using the smartcard and not NFC and I don't think I've done it with that.   It's possible the new SIM is coming into the equation as well.

Android Pay works differently and doesn't require a special SIM, of course.   Actually, as you've got that, go into the main Settings menu and check your default payment method as that may be having an effect as well.

SimonWilding

Thanks no error message as suchbut when I open the wallet ap it just says

"Unable to open wallet. We are setting up wallet on your new SIM card. This secure process can take up to 15 mins. Please try again later"

I'll give it a couple of days as you suggest. I might also try Android Pay again, I used VW as I found AP to be unreliable.

Cheers

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

hrym

As I said, it's a few years since I did it, but I'm pretty sure there was a progress circle - it doesn't sound as though you're seeing this.   The SIM is registered and working apart from this, isn't it? (sorry, obvious question, but worth checking!)   My current setup was a move from the smart card to NFC on the device I currently have, so all the bits were already in place apart from the dedicated SIM.

I'm not sure what the process is, but I think the Wallet account details are written to the SIM, a bit like the normal registration process.   There are two posibilities in relation to that: the SIM may be faulty, or it may take a while for the account to transfer to the new device so that the process can complete.

I'm a bit concerned that nothing is happening, but it's probably worth giving it a bit in case the second option is the one.   If it still doesn't work, post back here as the normal customer service channels don't get many queries about wallet and aren't wonderfully useful.   It used to be possible to email Wallet Help, but I think that option has now gone.

SimonWilding

Yep the SIM is registered, the number transferred from the old SIM to the new and I can make calls and sent texts and use mobile data.

I've also uninstalled and re-installed the app gto see if that will kick start it, but no joy. I'l give it another 24 hours or so then pop into the store. I'll updtae here as and when

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

hrym

Did you check the default payment method as I originally suggested?   If you've set up Android Pay, it will have defaulted to that and that might be what's getting in the way.   If you don't use that, you could try uninstalling or disabling it.   If you do use it, just disable it temporarily, but also have a look at the payment setting.

Edited to add: I did have a slight worry that the device might not be compatible with Vodafone Pay (the NFC bit), but it is.   The manual tells you how to set it up on page 40.

SimonWilding

Hi, yes I did look at that. The options it gave me were Android Pay or Voda Wallet - I changed the default to VW but no joy. Earlier on today I got a notification from VW say "nearly there" but still nothing.

Thanks for the manual, I did download a slighty diferent version of it at the weekend but the touch and pay bit is the same. Everything is as it should.  Oh well, maybe it's time to give AP another go

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

hrym

That notification is encouraging - it means something is happening.  I'd just hang on - it could well be the combination of new device and new SIM that's slowing it.

I like Vodafone Wallet/Pay and haven't tried AP, but would certainly use it if I acquired a devie that wasn't VF compatible.   Vodafone has a monthly limit that requires you to send doeuments to get lifted.   Not sure why, as your identity must have been established by the underlying card/s, surely?  Does anyone know if AP has similar?

SimonWilding

I'm now getting an error message, C1061, unable to reach server. Assuming thats a problem at VFs end rather than mine?

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

hrym

I've seen that occasionally in use.   It normally means that I've got wifi on and it wants a mobile connection.