Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Wallet Issues

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

I have recently changed my phone to the Vodafone Smart V8 and am having diffculties setting up the Wallet app.

I have downlaoded the app and was asked to switch to mobile data from wifi to allow the set up on the SIM. It said it would take up to 15 mins to do this, but three days later I am still getting the same message on the screen when trying to open the app.

It worked perfectly on my old Note 4 and it's annoying that it won't work now. It's not the same SIM  as I had to change to a micro to nano SIM so I suppose it coudl be an error with the SIM but everything else works ok and Android Pay, which was on the phone by default is set up fine.

Any ideas?

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SUCCESS!!

More out of hope than expectation I popped into a VF store as I was passing, they checked the phone and, guess what? The new SIM card I was given last week wasn't an NFC SIM!!!

They have done a SIM swap and now it's all working fine.

The reason I did not suspect this is

a) when i got a new NFC enabled phone last week and needed a new nano SIM I assumed that the SIM would automatically be an NFC SIM - how wrong I was.

b) the instructions for setting up wallet says "if your SIM isn't NFC enabled the app will tell you and show you how to order a new one". It didn't do that.

so I assumed it was a NFC SIM.

At least it's all set up now, that's the main thing. The answer is, don't assume that a brand new SIM is an NFC one, check that your SIM card has a )))) symbol on it. If it doesn't it's not an NFC one.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

View solution in original position

28 REPLIES 28

SimonWilding

It's not that, it tells me to turn WiFi off as soon as I start the set up process.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

hrym
17: Community Champion

I remember you said that.  Actually, my memory was wrong.   What it means is that I'm on wifi but haven't signed in (which is why it's not connecting to the server).   I do seem to remember something similar when I changed devices several years ago, but it cleared within about 48 hours.  I presume you have a good mobile data signal and 3G or above?

One further thought: have you tried making a payment?   That would be interesting - it could be that the SIM is set up but that the issue is with the app itself.

SimonWilding

Yes a perfect 3G/4G signal. I'm going to try Android Pay later, which is set up with my card details. If that works then I know it's not a problem with the NFC or the SIM, and then probably give up with VW!

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

hrym

Android Pay just uses the NFC as far as I'm aware and doesn't require a special SIM.  (In fact, I'm not entirely sure it needs a SIM at all and might just work with wifi).  I've looked at it but never tried it.

If you have the chance, could you have a go at paying with Vodafone?  I'm still wondering whether the Pay element is set up but that Wallet isn't complete.   I think it probably won't work because the two (Wallet and Pay) work together, but it would be interesting to see.  I'd realyl like to get to the bottom of this if possible as it really ought to be working and, in the end, it may be necessary for the forum team to put you in touch with the Wallet people.

SimonWilding

I'll try both later. Just one thing from your post, why does Wallet need a special NFC SIM but AP doesn't? I thought they both needed the same tech to work?

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

hrym

I'm not totally up to speed with the way they work, but this is what I understand.   AP links to your Google account and registered payment method.  It needs a connection (mobile or wifi) to work.  I think I'm right that the Vodafone route stores the info on the SIM, or at least that the SIM contains a secure element that's used to validate payment or run the interface to your account.   I also believe that ApplePay works in a similar way (that there's a secure section of the OS that's ring-fenced and inaccessible by anything else, especially 3rd party software).   Vodafone claim that VP will work even when the phone is switched off or the battery is flat, though I've never checked this.   NFC is an RFID system, of course, so passive.  I assume that the SIM can somehow talk to it even without powered OS channels.

All this implies that AP is less secure than Vodafone or Apple, but I don't know if that's true and I assume Google would have put some good security in place somewhere (possibly at the host end).  It's possible you have to verify AP payments but, as I say, I've never used it.

SimonWilding

Ahh interesting, that may explain why AP was unreliable for me in the past, quite often it wouldn't work in the same store over and over, so probably either there wasn't a suffient mobile data signal or I had automatically connected to a wifi network but wasn't logged in to it so it couldn't transmit?!

Sounds like VW is the most reliable method, if I can just get the damn thing to reinstall!

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Well AP worked fine, but VW didn't. Bearing in mind I haven't been able to add any card details to VW yet that's not surprising really. As wallet isn't set up on my sim yet it won't know it's me to transfer the details from my old device.....

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

hrym

Hmm.   Well, that's me completely out of ideaas.   I think we'll have to wait for the forum team to pick this thread up.   If they can't find a solution, with luck they'll be able to put you in touch with the Wallet people and they'll be able to get you sorted.  if this wasn't a Vodafone device, I'd raise the compatibility issue (it can be labyrinthine).  It surely can't apply here, can it?

Thanks for all your patience trying my suggestions.

SimonWilding

No problem, thank you for your patience in trying to help.

I did have a brainwave last night, when I set up the phone I turned data saver on, whcih stops apps using background data when the phone is asleep. There is an option for each app to  allow it to use background data and also to be able to use unrestricted data when data saver is on.

I switched both those options to ON in the wallet app settings to see if that was the probem, but no......

Hey ho.....

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4