Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone smart mini 7 - saving apps to my SD card

scoop247
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I'm just getting confused on how I can move any apps to a new SD card (30GB). Really need step by step guide as the user manual doesn't give this information. I can't receive any texts at the moment as all my internal storage is used up. Also can't get google play to work either as I've seen you can download a App 2 SD app to do this to some degree. Can someone help me? I'm on PAYG. Not sure what forum to send this to so please redirect.

9 REPLIES 9

hrym
17: Community Champion

The fist thing to do would be to go into Settings|Apps, then open each one and see whether there's a Move To SD Card button.   Not all apps can be moved, and it's also possible that the version of Android you have doesn't allow this.

If that's the case, delete a few apps that you don't use much to free up space and then see if you can get Google Play working so that you can download Apps2SD.   (You can then reinstall the apps you delete initially).

thanks for replying. I've uninstalled all apps that can be uninstalled and no joy with Google Play. i only have the option of disabling the apps that I have on my mobile - Should I try that next to see if GPlay will run? This is my first smart phone and I guess its probably at the basic level (as am I with this technology but I'm not stupid), but I can't use it if I can't get it to store my apps on the SD card. 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@scoop247 Are you able to copy any data (such as pictures or videos) to a PC or laptop folder? This would give you more free space to download the app you'd like to use.

You'd also then be able to move this data back to your new SD card when this is inserted in your phone and connected to the PC or laptop.

Hi Natasha, i've only got just 23 pics saved on my SD card. I've got no music or anything else downloaded, No messages that I can see, although I keep getting messages that my inbox is full. I've got just one email in my archives. I don't see why I have no memory space. To answer your question I don't know how to copy from my mobile to laptop unless you mean by moving apps or files to my SD card. Is there another way?  

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@scoop247 - Connecting your phone to a PC or laptop using a USB cable is the best way to do this.

As mentioned above, not all apps can be saved to the SD card.

I recommend you visit your local Vodafone store, where the advisers can take a look at the phone and see if they can help free up some space.

Surely it is bordering on a scam to call this model a smart phone.

You can hardly do anything with the pathetic memory.

And if you buy an SD card which costs 50% the price of a new phone there seem to be lots of apps which to cannot move to make space on the phone's memory!!

lamperg
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

without app2sd you may to replace apps in settings of your phone

Very sorry but do not understand your reply ....

hrym

There's an app called Apps2sd which allows you do what its name implies (assuming it's still available, I haven't looked lately).   Not all apps can be moved by the operating system, and none of the built-in ones.

The capacity of entry-level devices is limited, both in terms of storage and working memory.   They're really only suitable for use with the apps built into Android and maybe one or two more.   An sd card is essential for storage of content such as photos or music.  When smartphones first appeared, connections and processors were slow and storage was limited.   As a result, apps kept themselves as small as possible.   As capabilities and capacities have increased, apps have added functionality and grown considerably in size.   What you could once do on a basic device is no longer possible.  I have an old Samsung Galaxy S2 that was a flagship in its day and ran a couple of dozen or so added apps.   Now, all it can accomondate is four or five - that's how much things have moved on.   I'd regard 16gb of storage as the absolute minimum now for practical purposes.

There was a mention of moving things to a pc, but I don't think this is relevent if the issue isn't related to files (music, photos) that you've added.