Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone smart x9 software update

vasques101uk
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have recently received a software update for the smart X9. However I cannot find out any information on said update. What does it do/fix. I am reluctant to install said update as the only info I can find on it is on the Portuguese Vodafone site which according to people there causes more problems to the phone without seeing any benefits. 

Can someone from Vodafone please point to information relating to this service update. Is it similar to the Portuguese update or has the issues they have had been sorted I .this update.

Thank you kindly in advance

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's nearly a GB of update which sounds like a major update.

This is typically a move from one firmware to another.

i.e. Nougat to Oreo  or Oreo to Pie.

This would typically include security Patches.

Any update that comes via the phones software update section is safe but it's up to the owner to go ahead. 

Depends on what the new update brings to the table to be fair and I applaud you wanting to be aware of what's included. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Does it advise what size the update is in Mb's

Current Phone  >

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Does it advise what size the update is in Mb's

Hi there thanks for getting in touch

It is 896.48 MB

I have included a screen capture.

Thanks

John

That's nearly a GB of update which sounds like a major update.

This is typically a move from one firmware to another.

i.e. Nougat to Oreo  or Oreo to Pie.

This would typically include security Patches.

Any update that comes via the phones software update section is safe but it's up to the owner to go ahead. 

Depends on what the new update brings to the table to be fair and I applaud you wanting to be aware of what's included. 

Current Phone  >

It looks like a major update but I can find no information about it online... The Portuguese Vodafone community got an update in January but people complained it messed with there phone . It broke more things than it fixed .

I just want to find some info on the UK update before I install. I find it strange to send such a large update to people without any kind of information on the web about it.

Thanks for your help

Your attachment isn't really giving any info as you look to have already downloaded the update and now is pending you accepting the install.

What info did it give before downloading it ?

Current Phone  >

No info it auto downloaded and got message saying it was ready to install. That's why I am wary. 

Does anyone know where the downloaded system file would be stored on the phone. Perhaps I can download it and someone more knowledgable can look at it.

Thank you on advance advance.

Oh and what's the best program to remove it from the phone for inspection.

You lot are the best 😀

Looking at other foreign forums it looks like a Jan 2019 security update. Stays on Oreo 8.1 but intros quite a few problems 😁

A security patch update is nowhere near as large as a GB file.

It's more like 100-200mb file size.

The phones File system is set up to not allow a person to interfere with it and is guarded by security.

I really wouldn't start to try poking around in there as doing that may trip and void manufacturing warranty.

I do agree tho it's a weird thing that the update didn't come with guidance notes.

For example when I recieve an update to my Samsung Note 9 there's guidance notes accompanying it but even then just typically says it contains stability fixes and security updates.

It's usually only more detailed if it's a new firmware i.e. when I updated from Oreo to Pie.

The thing is a Vodafone Highstreet Store isn't going to be able to give much info on it as they aren't really set up for that unless you get a Geek employee ( no disrespect intended) who likes to keep themself informed of updates generally.

Even sending it away wouldn't help as the first thing they do is flash the software hence the update will most then probably be put on.

Now even tho a lot of countries have Vodafone Networks they are not linked so one firmware that hits in one country may not be the same in another so wouldn't contain the same bugs, if any at all.

I wish you well with your quest.

Current Phone  >