Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodaphone Samsung updates

omgitzmo
4: Newbie

Hey Guys, I'm new to vodaphone and this is my first time getting carrier phone, asking people who are experienced with vodaphone whether they have huawei or Samsung, does Vodaphone release software updates fast? Since this is carrier locked so it's up to vodaphone to release it.

The new one ui for Samsung s9 is supposed to be released in January, does anyone think vodaphone will release it in January or perhaps in 2020?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @omgitzmo

Officially Vodafone nor Samsung will comment on firmware send out timeframes. 

What happens with Vodafone branded Samsung phones is Vodafone test the firmware first to ensure nothing clashes and then when they are happy authorise Samsung to release the branded version.

This is sent out in waves to stop server melt down and pushed out to phones dependent on their build and serial number.

Samsung One Ui is in Beta and the rumour is that it'll be January 2019 but nothing ja official yet.

Firmware Statement.

android-pie-one-ui-update-roadmap.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Samsung has officially announced and given a list Of devices and the Month and year, just Google one ui release dates, I'm just asking for your opinion, do you think vodaphone releases updates quick or slow? 

BandOfBrothers

As the firmware updates typically include Security Patches I'm.sure they'll want to release it as fast as possible.

The thing is as it's sent out in waves people receive it at different stages.

I buy direct from Samsung and typically receive updates pretty fast although one person's thinks its fast and another says it's too slow.

There's no definitive answer to your question I'm afraid.

Current Phone  >

Alrighty then, I'll just assume it's anywhere from 1 month to 3 months to vodaphone sending out the update. Honestly considering returning this phone now, my brother got me this phone, although it is unlocked and I can use it on EE, it still has Vodafone apps and bloatware, and Vodafone controls the updates 😕

BandOfBrothers

@omgitzmo wrote:

Alrighty then, I'll just assume it's anywhere from 1 month to 3 months to vodaphone sending out the update. Honestly considering returning this phone now, my brother got me this phone, although it is unlocked and I can use it on EE, it still has Vodafone apps and bloatware, and Vodafone controls the updates 😕

Some Vodafone Apps can be disabled or uninstalled and the ones you can't disable possibly can be removed via the Package Disabler available via the Playstore. Just be careful on what is disabled.

What one person considers network bloatware another finds it useful but I agree a person should have a choice.

That said although I do not have network apps on my Note 9 as its direct from Samsung I do have certain apps such as Google Chrome that I can't uninstall but disable instead.

It's a shame you feel that way about the phones software. I assume your on Oreo like me. Mine is stable and even tho I'll get the One Ui update from Samsung I always choose to wait a while and read up on early adopters experiences before taking my phone from stable Oreo to a new firmware.

The one ui looks nice from what I've read on the official Samsung Website and from YouTube reviews but as lots of it is aesthetic I'm not rushing to want it.

As Security Patches can be downloaded separately away from firmware updates I download them always. 

Current Phone  >

I'm not saying chrome is bloatware, chrome must be there because Google forces android OEMs to pre install Google apps because android is free, that's one way Google makes money.

The bloatware I'm talking about is Vodafone apps, I got rid of one app called my Vodafone but there is still another one called 'start'. I'm still researching about these disabler but I'll get rid of it soon. I call this bloatware because these apps are completely useless to me, I'm on EE so there is no point of these Vodafone apps. 

BandOfBrothers

So hopefully package disabler will help remedy the situation with the apps you personally do not find helpful as your now using another UK network sim card.

Other options could be to put a custom rom on the phone but this process needs to be done very carefully. 

The xdadevelopers site offers up some really good insight and tutorials.

A person trying this does so at their own informed discretion.

Current Phone  >

Anonymous
Not applicable

You’re better off heading over to sam mobile and reflashing with BTU firmware not at XDA. It’ll give you updates as Samsung release them not when the networks schedule the release.

You might/probably end up losing access to VoLTE (voice over 4g). But if you bought the phone sim free you’d not get access anyway.

As it’s ‘official’ software it won’t trip Knox and won’t invalidate your warranty although if your handset develops a fault I’d recommend reflashing back to the original firmware before you send it off.

All the usual warnings apply and it’s at your own risk. It’s unlikely but you could end up ‘bricking’ your phone.

BandOfBrothers

@omgitzmo wrote:

Samsung has officially announced and given a list Of devices and the Month and year, just Google one ui release dates, 

There's lots of hits on googling  

Can you insert the link you've seen that leads to the official Samsung page you've seen on this.

Current Phone  >