Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wi-Fi vulnerabilities

DRUIDDOODE
13: Advanced Member

Hi A researcher has allegedly found severe flaws in the Wi-Fi protocol (also known as the handshake )and says devices running Android 6.0 and above and has Wi-Fi capability can be hacked.

Android authority says between 40 and 50% of Android devices are vulnerable to this flaw,

On reading a few articles it seems you don't even have to use Wi-Fi to be affected, any device that has Wi-Fi capability is vulnerable.

There are obvious ways to keep yourself protected like not clicking or following unknown links and emails, but it does seem that none of this is any use if the fault is in Wi-Fi protocol itself.

Does this mean to avoid using any banking apps on devices?

Does Vodafone have or going to have now it's been made aware anything in place to protect customers from being hacked or any other advice as I find this a little worrying.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @DRUIDDOODE

If a patch / update is warranted I’m sure Samsung and the Networks will be keen to push them out. 

Personally since I’ve owned my s8 from launch date I’ve not used my WiFi feature at home or while out and about as my Data Allowance is large enough not to. 

As for accessing Internet Banking the generic advice is Home Broadband WiFi is secure but shops WiFi or WiFi Services in City Centres that’s free isn’t secure. 

Before I put on my foil tin hat :Winking_smiley: this information link should help on what a person can do >> https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/16/heres-what-you-can-do-to-protect-yourself-from-the-krack-wifi-vuln...

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers

Hi @DRUIDDOODE

If a patch / update is warranted I’m sure Samsung and the Networks will be keen to push them out. 

Personally since I’ve owned my s8 from launch date I’ve not used my WiFi feature at home or while out and about as my Data Allowance is large enough not to. 

As for accessing Internet Banking the generic advice is Home Broadband WiFi is secure but shops WiFi or WiFi Services in City Centres that’s free isn’t secure. 

Before I put on my foil tin hat :Winking_smiley: this information link should help on what a person can do >> https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/16/heres-what-you-can-do-to-protect-yourself-from-the-krack-wifi-vuln...

Current Phone  >

Thanks BANDOFBROTHERS of all the articles I have read none of them pointed out the info in your link like the things they can not do.

I am disappointed in Android authority (and others) as there article on they made it seem like any device running 6.0 and above can be hacked just through the internet itself.

Not very professional for a popular android site

BandOfBrothers

You’re welcome. 

Typical media type hyped and sensationalised. 

I understand the possible issues that can be caused but in my experience there’s always more in the detail than the first paragraph of reports like this. 

That said I’m keeping my tin foil hat on for now. Lol. :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

hrym

If you really want to scare yourself, I've seen a report that WPA2 can be hacked.   The general rule is, as BoB says, not to use public wifi for senstive stuff (ie banking etc).