main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Android

WiFi calling on non-branded mobiles.

Highlighted
4: Newbie

I just found that on my partners non-branded Samsung A3 2017 which is running on Three network, WiFi calling became available after upgrade to Android 8. I have non-branded Xperia X Compact (Android 8.0) in Vodafone, so my question here is why Vodafone won't allow WiFi calling on non-branded mobiles which are/were also available with that option enabled as branded mobiles.

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
4: Newbie

I also tried to turn WiFi calling option in my account settings but with no result:

"Sorry, there seems to be a problem
We can't add this service for you, because you're not eligible for it. - [Error ref 2f2]"

So it seems that spending £40 a month is not much enough to get this option.

View more options
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Hi @horiz0n

When Wi-Fi Calling was first released the list of eligible phone models was very small.

And the phone had to have been supplied by Vodafone with the iPhone being the exception. 

This has now changed where Wi-Fi Calling will work on eligible  non branded phones too. 

This link shows what a person's contract type has to be and what phones Vodafone allows to work with their calling over Wi-Fi. 

In your case "Sony – XZ Premium, XZ1, XZ1 Compact, XA2, XZ2"

From Vodafone and Calling Over Wi-Fi.

Vodafone won't comment on their business decisions as to why certain phones have been made eligible for the service. 

Calling Over Wi-Fi is very much a recent addition. 

A person is primarily paying their Monthly Fee for their minutes, texts and data allowances.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.1  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

@horiz0n wrote:

I also tried to turn WiFi calling option in my account settings but with no result:

"Sorry, there seems to be a problem
We can't add this service for you, because you're not eligible for it. - [Error ref 2f2]"

So it seems that spending £40 a month is not much enough to get this option.

Some account holders have had to speak with customer services on 191 or use Live Chat to have the feature activated on their account. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.1  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options